¹⁵

We started walking over to this house I saw in the distance. We grabbed anything we could eat or drink from the gas station first and went down the hill back to the highway. We shoved ourselves through cars walking on them just to get across. I kept close to Schlatt the whole way there. We all looked up this steep hill and at each other until Tommy took the leap and started trudging up the hill. We all slowly followed after as the sun beat down on us. I don't understand why it was so fucking hot it was supposed to be getting closer to fall.

We all got to the top of the hill pretty winded, but we all looked up at the house. It looked more like a farmhouse than it did faraway. It had a wraparound porch with rocking chairs that were perfectly still, it had a cracking blue paint that was slowly peeling off. Some moss and vines are growing on the edges of the porch. Once I catch my breath, I walk up to the porch steps and stomp on the bottom one seeing if it would collapse or not. It didn't. So, I slowly went onto the porch and watched my steps carefully. I got to the door and carefully creaked open the door and peeked inside. Silent, deathly silent. I got a little shiver up my spine but slowly stepped inside with Toby and Tommy behind me. It had the sliest smell of death mixed with a classic grandma house smell. All the furniture was covered in dust showing the house wasn't in any sort of use. I was slow with my steps, but I made my way to the kitchen where I started opening cabinets which were just filled to brim with plates, bowls, and cups. It looked like this person collected this type of stuff.

There were shot glasses on the top of the cabinets that you could barely see. I looked over at the fridge and thought about opening it and ended up doing so. I thought when I opened it was going to smell horrible and be warm like everything else we have seen. When I opened it a strange waft of cold air hit me, the light in the fridge turned on and there was very little smell. I quickly shut the fridge then looked over at Toby who was standing by the stove.
"Toby... try and turn that on" I say pointing to the stove. He grabbed one of the knobs and turned it for a few seconds. At first nothing happened then suddenly a flame came out of the stove and Toby immediately turned it off. I had a small smile on my face knowing I could make a warm meal finally which made my mouth water. We looked at each other than into the living room where everyone else gathered to look around. I walked to the door frame that separated the kitchen and living room, then saw a hanging light. I looked and saw the light switch right beside me. I flicked the light switch turning on the light, it had to flicker a few times, but it fully switched on.

It took people a few seconds to realize it, but they all looked excited. Well, we didn't know what was running the power, so I turned the light off just in case. I didn't hear much of the conversation since I decided to go up the stairs and look around more, but Phil talked to Alex and Charlie about finding out what was running the power. I wasn't interested in that, so I just slowly went up the stairs. There was what looked like 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. I looked around and one of the bedrooms was obviously made to be a kid's bedroom. The walls were chipping a baby blue paint. There were only like 2 mattresses on the ground though. Then the only two bedrooms were master style bedrooms that had king size beds. These beds had frames, but they were metal. They weren't the best looking but they would do.

---

We all just gathered in the living room and figured out where everyone was going to sleep since it was starting to get late. We knew Phil and Kristen got one of the master bedrooms, but we wanted to settle the rest of the rooms. Alex was content sleeping on the couch, so we let him do that. Ran, Tody and Tommy decided to find a way to share the kid's bedroom. There was a bedroom on the main floor I didn't know about, and I guess Ted and Charlie were sharing that. Everyone I guess decided that me and Schlatt were going to get the second master bedroom while Will slept where he wanted, which he decided on the basement which Phil, Alex and Charlie found out was a thing. That's also where a generator was running the house's electricity.

Everyone dispersed to their respective rooms to get ready for bed. Schlatt and I went to our room and sat our stuff on the ground. I grabbed the blankets and shook them, getting the dust off of them. I coughed and sneezed a few times, but I eventually got the dust off the blankets and sheets. You could smell the mustiness of the room, but you can't really complain, I could be sleeping on the ground. I look over and see Schlatt sitting on the other side of the bed leaning his chin in his hand. I bit the inside of my cheek and crawled across the bed over to him. I sat on my knees behind him and wrapped my arms around him. I rest my head on his shoulder, and he looks at me.

He turns his whole body around to face me and I hover over him on my knees. He quickly and gently pushes me down onto my back, stuffing his face into my chest. I put a pillow under my head as he gets himself comfortable laying on top of me. I take my fingers and start running them through his hair massaging his scalp. I smiled and closed my eyes slowly. Eventually fell asleep with the sound of my heartbeat beating in his ears causing him to fall asleep.

1051 words