...

There was a large bang that came from outside the camper that woke me from my daydream state. Everyone seemed pretty calm, so I didn't think much of it and just relaxed into the seat.
"What did you hit this time, Ted?" Charlie jokingly yelled at Ted. There were just a few chuckles then we all went back to silence. In a room with people who seemed to have known each other for a while it was extremely quiet. I then remember the monsters I had in my pockets which I know they have seen but I pulled them out of my pockets. I look up to see Toby glancing at me. I chuckle and scoot up till my ass is on the edge of the seat and reach one of the monsters to Toby. He took a slight second look before taking it from my hand. 

"Thanks" I nod and start to lean back in my seat before Tommy yells out.
"What about me?!" I chuckle and lean all the way back.
"Sorry I only got two... Schlatt has some sodas though" I throw him under the bus as I open the monster, I had for myself. He just kind of looked at me, but I laughed as Tommy and Alex started begging him for one of the sodas. Schlatt kept saying no but eventually gave in and gave both of them one. They both excitedly sat back in their seats and opened up the sodas. Schlatt looked over at me then raised his hand and flicked me in the forehead. I over exaggeratedly put my hand on my forehead and acted offended. I gasped and sat my hand on my chest. When he turned away from me though I did the same thing.

This went back and forth for a while until the camper came to a complete stop. Everyone didn't know what was happening then Ted got up and went out of the camper. Everyone got up and followed him out. That's when I realized we were on a really backed up highway and we seemed to hit a stop where we couldn't go any further. There were cars as far as the car could see.

"Well, what are we going to do now Phil?" Schlatt said in an annoyed tone. Ted kind of nudged him in the shoulder. He just rolled his eyes. Phil started talking but I wasn't listening. I started staring into the woods beside the highway. It was quiet, peaceful. It was the middle of the spring so there were little dandelions growing in the grass. For the absolute chaos we were in everything around me in that moment gave me peace of mind for once. 

That was soon interrupted by a gunshot from behind me. I turned around to see Alex had shot like two walkers who had wandered into our area. I knew I wouldn't be able to contribute to this conversation, so I just went and hopped into the camper. I sat and stretched my legs out on the couch. I started glugging down that monster trying just to finish it. I grab my backpack and open one of the small pockets I stuffed some snacks into and found a little pack of dried strawberries. I then opened the small bag and started munching away on these strawberries. They weren't too bad but got to work with what you got.

I was almost fully done with a small bag when the camper door swung open violently. I turned my head and watched as Schlatt stomped in the camper and to his stuff. He rummaged through his bag he had on his bag and pulled out a pistol. Wasn't too big, then he cocked it back making sure it was loaded.
"Where are you going?" I asked. I don't think he knew I was there because he jumped a bit when I asked him that.
"Me and a few others are going to find us somewhere to go..." I nod then dump the rest of the strawberry crumbs into my mouth.
"Wanna come?" he asked.
"Sure" I replied and sat up. I grabbed my shotgun and threw it over my shoulder. I waited for him to finish getting his stuff before following him out to find Toby, Ted, and Alex waiting. 

"Were bringing the newbie?" Alex said and I just glanced over at him and unknowing to me gave him a really judgmental stare. He shot his arms up in defense.
"Didn't say I was against it." He said with a wink. I just rolled my eyes. When he put his arms down though Schlatt changed up the subject.
"Which way should we start heading?" Everyone just went quiet. No one had an idea of where we should go. It felt like 5 minutes before Toby spoke up and suggested that we go through the woods. No one had any better ideas, so we just went with that. We hopped the little barrier that suppurated the road and grass and went down a little hit to the edge of the woods. There weren't any paths, so we just started walking straight. I walked alongside Toby in the back of the small group. We were having normal small talk getting to know each other. You know the basic questions "What's your favorite color?" "Favorite band?" etc. 

We didn't want to go too far when we noticed how dark it was getting. So, we stopped in a little clearing and set up a fire. We could have walked back and slept in the camper but none of us really wanted to. We sat in a little circle staying quite close to each other. My back was against a tree, and I was beside Toby and Schlatt. You could see the sky start to turn a dusty blue before turning into the night sky. The boys mingled and talked to one another. I just stared into the trees listening to the slight jingle of the crickets. I felt my eyelids start to become heavier as I stared out into the distance until I stopped remembering and fell into a slumber.

1016 words