¹

<This chapter is mostly about yourself>

It's quiet... for once. It's been a few months since the apocalypse began. I'm alone, been alone for a while. I boarded myself in my house, but I can't stay here any longer. I've ran out of food and haven't had a meal in 3 days. I stand there by the door. I had a backpack with clothes and extra ammo. I had a shotgun that my dad gave me. My family died during this whole thing. I've stayed in the house since then and it seems the zombies have migrated somewhere else.

I grab the door handle and slowly creak open the door and peek my head out the door. Nothing. Good. I step out onto my porch shotgun in hand trying to make very little noise so as to not draw attention to myself. With caution I slow step off my porch and start walking down the sidewalk. There was blood, guts everywhere I walked. There were 3 places I wanted to stop. The first was a CVS not too far from my house. I stopped in front of the doors for a moment then slowly opened the doors. There was the classic ding as I opened the door, I froze to see if anything would happen. Nothing. So, I kept pushing on. 

I roamed the aisles and stuffed a few things into my bag like bandages. I also found some water bottles which was a real lucky find. I also found a way into the Pharmacy section of the building and got some pain medications. I didn't fill my bag up too much since there were 2 other places I wanted to stop. I swung my bag onto my shoulder and made my way out of the store. I keep on walking down the bloody sidewalk to a Kroger. I made sure to be really quiet going into this one. It was a bigger store and there was probably something in here that I couldn't see. 

I went down all the isles with canned goods and grabbed a few canned vegetables and some canned fruits just to try. I couldn't wait though I took a knife and stabbed open a can of fruit. I used the knife to poke the fruit and put it in my mouth. It felt so good to eat something again. It didn't take long for me to finish the can. 

I stopped everything I was doing though when I heard a crack from an aisle over, I held my shotgun up and slowly walked out the aisle I was in. I think I was being paranoid though because nothing happened after that, but I left anyway just to be safe. I made my way down to my last destination which was this random gas station. 

Only reason I say random is because all the letters saying the name of the place have fallen off. I go inside and immediately regret it. There was a walker in there and it noticed me instantly. I felt my heart start to quicken out of fear. I shakily pump my shotgun as I stare into the dead eyes of this zombie. I put the gun up and shot it. I got it on a chunk of its head, and it fell to the floor. I then started to hear growling and groaning all around me.

I felt like everything around me was closing in around me. I just made a break for it. I was running quite literally for my life. I turned my head to look behind me and saw almost 7 or 8 I wasn't sure of walkers, running at me. I flanged my head back forward and kept running. I felt my throat start to burn and I was losing my breath quickly. I start going down an alleyway when I notice the fire escape to one of the buildings. I clung onto the ladder and started climbing up. Though apparently, I didn't make it up far enough since I felt a hand grab onto my ankle. I started screaming and kicking at the walker holding onto my ankle. I tried to pull up and release its grip, but it didn't seem to be letting go.

I grabbed the end of my shotgun and tried to hit it in the head. Once I stopped for a second, I felt something sharp graze my cheek and go into the head of the walker that was holding onto my ankle causing it to release its grip. I let out a deep breath and felt my cheek where the sharp object I can now identify was an arrow. Once I looked at my finger, I saw a small amount of fresh blood. That's when I heard someone above me yell out causing me to look up.

"Sorry, that was meant for the dude holding your foot"

806 words