Chapter 7: Shattered Glass

Nick's voice crackled through the phone, frustration evident in his tone

Nick's voice crackled through the phone, frustration evident in his tone. "He gave us the wrong name." It had been two weeks since the container incident, and we finally caught one of the guys involved in the raid.

We had kept him locked up in the basement, hoping to extract valuable information. But he remained stubborn, refusing to give up any details. It was time for a personal visit, so after a few hours and a few persuasive methods involving punches and stabs, he finally cracked and provided a name.

"What the hell do you mean by he gave us the wrong name?" I shouted into the phone, the anger building up inside me.

"He gave us his drug supplier's name instead," Nick muttered, frustration evident in his voice.

Either this guy was extremely loyal and willing to die for his cause, or it was his boss's plan all along.

"We need to increase the pressure. Find a way to break him," I ordered, knowing that threatening his family wasn't an option since he had none nearby.

"That's the problem, Alex. He took his own life," Nick said with disappointment.

"Why?" I asked, regretting the question as soon as the word left my mouth. I could hear Hazel's chuckles in the background, and I rolled my eyes in response.

Nick, in a sarcastic tone, replied, "Let me think. First, we kidnapped him. Then, we tortured him for over a week. So, I wonder why he shot himself in the head when he saw a gun lying on the floor?" The sarcasm was evident in his voice as he pretended to ponder the situation.

"Just find another lead, and make sure he doesn't end up dead, understood?" I instructed, trying to maintain my composure.

"Sir, yes, sir," Nick mocked before hanging up the phone, leaving me to wonder how we ever became friends in the first place.

I glanced at my phone and noticed a notification saying that Ariella had entered the premises. Weirdly enough, I found myself actually looking forward to the short interaction, even if it was just a simple hello.

With my laptop in hand, I casually went down the stairs, ready to handle some business. I heard the door opening, and a few minutes later, there she was, her small figure barely visible under her coat.

Totally unaware of my presence, she casually took off her coat, revealing her hair hanging loosely. I couldn't help but imagine running my fingers through it.

As she walked past me without a word or even acknowledging me, it was like I was invisible or something. Frustrated, I closed my laptop, thinking about whether I should chase after her.

Why the heck am I acting like this? Both Hazel and Nic have warmed up to her, and it's hard not to like her as a friend.

But, seriously, this ain't like me.

In an effort to distract myself, I called someone. Soon after, Catherine showed up at my door, wearing only a coat over a really short dress, leaving nothing to the imagination. We quickly made our way upstairs.