Leaving In A Fast Lane

" Yo, Amy! Make a left turn! You're wide open!" Ben shouted.

"Okay," I replied on my earpiece.

I made a left turn and lost the guys who were racing with me. A red car was right on my tail and I was so close to the finish line. Flipping the green button in the car, I sped through just in time to see the red car eat my dust.

" A you won! We are going to championship!" Ben exclaimed.  

"Calm down and stop yelling in my ear! And duh! These guys are a joke."

Stepping out of the car, I took my helmet off. People rushed towards me and my crew lifted me up in the air all while screaming my nickname.

" A,A,A,A!"

"Thanks guys, but I would have never done it if it weren't for y'all."

After the applause dimmed I descended from the air chair. My competitor made the effort to congratulate me with a sheepish grin. In a way, he reminded me of one of the guys at school. Attractive enough with the brown hair and dreamy green eyes.

"I didn't know girls could race that well," he laughed. "But I am glad to finally meet someone worthy of racing. I'm George."

" Well, I'm a different breed to be sure. And you're not too bad yourself. Amy."  

Extending one of those smiles any girl would melt for, he shook my hand.

"You know where to find me, Amy."

I watch George leave and a little part of me wished I had asked for his number. After all, we didn't go to the same school and dating guys outside of the ordinary Mary Link High School was something I always considered.

Beaming with pride, Jim, the owner of the race handed me the trophy. That man never once judged me when I told him I was going to beat any boy who dared to race against me. In fact, he became a great source of encouragement. We all posed for the camera and on the second shot the crew made silly faces.

"I would like to say once again that our girl A has proven to be the best racer," Jim said.

"Thank you, Jim. That means so much," I said. Patting my head, he gave me a hug.

" Good job, A. I knew you could do it."

" Thank you, Sam," I said.

Sam is my best friend since first grade who has always been there for me . Somewhere alone the way, she became my wardrobe designer, which has been a blessing. Each time I step on the track I look sexier than ever. From my hair, make up and outfits, everything is from the House of Sam. 

" So A, I guess the date is of the list since I lost the bet." Ben pouted. 

" Ben, I keep telling you not to bet with me. Cause you will always lose!" I winked.

The crew busted out laughing. As one of my good friends, Ben has always been an older brother. In good faith, he always makes a bet that one day he will take me out on a date. The problem is I never lose. Even though it's a joke, sometimes I wonder if there isn't a little bit of wishful thinking on his part. 

After bidding our goodbyes to the crew, I hop in Ben's "Dust Devil", his baby and most prize possession. The old  1976 Dodge had life in her especially with Ben's mechanical skills. Every chance he got was spent on fixing her slowly. 

He dropped me off at home, because I promised my mom that I would be back early. It should come to no surprise that 2:00 a.m. is still early for me. Usually, I bound home the next day or worse in the next two days. The one story house looked comforting with the lovely garden my mom worked so hard on developing.  i