Third Year - 3

It's the first day of classes this Tuesday morning. A good number of the third years are making their way to divination while the rest of them start their journey to their ancient runes class. Malorn, who doesn't care much for Divination, is not accompanying Lucille and Erica as he is taking Ancient Runes with Theodore and Daphne.

The Divination classroom is murky, filled with the smells of burning incense, and there are shelves filled with crystals and glass balls.

All of students are sat on fat little pouffes. Erica and Lucille sit together, surrounded by their already miserable housemates. Blaise and Draco eye the teacher warily, as she wanders around, humming to herself. The Professor had already placed freshly prepared tea on their tables, and once everyone is settled in class, she instructs them all to drink it, but doesn't give any of them any kind of explanation. Once they've all finished their tea, she begins the lesson.

"Welcome, my children. In this room, you shall explore the mysterious art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess... the Sight." She bumps into a table, and the class giggles. "Hello. I am Professor Trelawney. Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future!"

Erica looks at Lucille in confusion, and Lucille shrugs. "Beats History of Magic."

"But know this. One either has the Gift or not. It cannot be divined from the pages of a book. Books only cloud one's Inner Eye." Professor Trelawney says. "The first term will be devoted to the reading of tea leaves. If all goes well, we will proceed to palmistry, fire omens, and finally... the crystal ball." Trelawney peers over at Parvati. "By the way, dear, beware a red haired man."

"What the..." Erica murmurs when Parvati eyes Ron dubiously, then edges away from him.

"Unfortunately, classes will be disrupted in February by a nasty bout of flu. I myself will lose my voice. And in late spring, one of our number will... leave us forever."

As the class exchanges uneasy glances, Professor Trelawney smiles brightly.

"Hogwash, I'm telling you." Draco mutters to Blaise behind the girls.

"What, afraid of what you may see in your future, mate?"

"You think I'm afraid of leaf juice, Blaise?"

In response to the boys behind her, Lucille snorts loudly in laughter, then reflexively covers her mouth. Erica smiles at Lucille's reaction. She doesn't see her genuinely laugh too often.

Professor Trelawney glances over at Erica. "How odd. Miss LaRue, do you regularly transcend the astral plane, dear?"

"Huh?" Erica furrows her eyebrows. "Er... I guess not?"

"Well, try not to do that too often during my classes, it can skew the vibrations in this room." The Professor advises before wandering off again.

"Hey..." Erica turns to Lucille. "What is she talking about?"

Lucille shrugs. "I have no idea."

"You, boy!" Professor Trelawney points at Neville. "Is your grandmother well?"

"I... I think so." Neville says.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that.... give me the cup." She looks in it then frowns. "Hm.... pity."

Neville quickly grabs his cup and anxiously peers into it.

"Broaden your minds, my dears." Professor Trelawney grabs hold of Seamus' head and shakes it, while the class looks on in bewilderment. "And allow your eyes to see... beyond!" She suddenly motions off to the distance, so everyone's line of sight follows her off into the distant nothing.