First Year - 4

The Hogwarts Express blows it's whistle as it pulls into an outdoor station. The giant that Erica remembers as Hagrid, can be seen walking along the platform, with a lantern.

Erica follows behind Luna, trying to make it not too obvious that she feels out of place. Luna gives her a reassuring look, in an attempt to comfort her a little.

"Right, then! First years!" Hagrid calls out. "This way, please! Come on, now, don't be shy! Come on now, hurry up!"

The first years seem to split off into their own group from the older students, who routinely walk past the youngsters, through the woods, and to the carriages that appear to pull themselves.

"Right then. This way to the boats! Come on, now, follow me." Hagrid says, making a hurried hand motion for the group to follow him.

They are led to a lake front where a line of boats are waiting. Luna and Erica sit beside each other, as their boat is filled, and set off across the water. The boy in front, who she believes is called "Blaise", repeatedly boasts to his two other friends about how special he is, getting to hold the lamp. Though, judging by his posture, Erica can tell it is a very heavy lamp and he is straining himself to hold it up.

Up ahead, the huge castle sits. The first years all stare in awe at what is to be their second home (in some cases, their first actual home) for the next several years.

Once the boats reach the shore across the other side of the lake, the first years all climb out. Hagrid, having somehow fit into one of the small boats, leads them all into the castle, before handing them off to an older woman he refers to as "Ms. McGonagall". She doesn't say much, only instructing them to follow her as she leads them through the castle and to a large set of grand staircases. When hey reach the top of the steps, she finally turns around to formally address them.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses." Ms. McGonagall explains. "They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking... and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

A boy behind Erica suddenly leaps forward and shouts "Trevor!". He reaches down to retrieve a frog, which Erica quickly assumes must be his pet for school.

How did it end up here of all places? She wonders, while looking curiously at the boy in question.

"Sorry..." He sheepishly moves back into the crowd, desperate to be unseen.

Ms. McGonagall takes a moment to collect herself before speaking one final time. "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." She leaves, allowing the children to talk amongst themselves.

"This place is amazing." Erica murmurs to Luna. "I can't believe somewhere like this actually exists."

"Oh, yes." Luna nods dreamily. "There are plenty of places like this that exist. It's really a shame muggles will never get to see them."

"It's true then!"

Erica cranes her neck to see the familiar platinum blonde boy from Diagon Alley.

"...What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

As the students begin whispering amongst themselves, Erica confusedly turns to Luna. "Who's Harry Potter?"

"The boy with the glasses and the scar on his forehead." Luna whispers, subtly motioning to the one they're discussing. "He killed a very powerful and evil wizard when he was just a baby. Suppose the curse backfired on him, but no one really knows how. My uncle told me that unforgivables can't be deflected or shielded against, though. He thinks it must be the work of some ancient magic."