Part 15

"Well, would you look at that?" Isabella laughs amusedly when she hears the quiet knock on the door. "He couldn't even bear being alone for three hours. He's worse than his brother, I have to say."

"How are you sure it's Jace?" Jamie giggles when the knocking continues. Surely Jace wouldn't hesitate before entering a room in his own house, right? It may be someone else.

"How are you not sure?" Isabella grins, walking over to the door to open it. "Of course it's him," she adds when she sees her anxious son standing in the hallway. "You're ridiculous, Jace. But you're your father's son so I can't say anything. I'll leave you two alone, I know when I'm the third wheel," she smiles, patting Jace on the shoulder before walking out of the room.

Jace simply shuts the door behind his mother then heads to Jamie, who's still giggling quietly at the thought of Jace pacing by the door like a sad puppy that was locked away from its owner. Jamie's mind easily conjures the image of Jace with fluffy ears, whining sadly and begging for attention, and it sends her into a much worse giggling fit. It becomes nearly impossible to look at Jace without imagining that strange sight, but the man has no idea what his Angel finds so amusing.

He only smiles at the lovely sight of her laughing so happily and sits down beside her on the sofa. His hand immediately reaches for Jamie's soft hair before his fingers play with it distractedly.

Even such simple touch brings Jamie a sense of comfort and spreads warmth through her whole body. After confessing her feelings and confirming Jace's love for her, she feels much more comfortable with him and his touch. It feels really nice that he can't keep his hands to himself and constantly tries to touch her.

"Did you want something?" Jamie asks teasingly, taking Jace's free hand in hers and playing distractedly with the rings on his fingers.

"I just missed you. Also, I could hear you two having fun from my office, so I thought I'd see what you two were up to."

"You heard us? I didn't notice we were so loud," Jamie apologizes quietly, making Jace chuckle softly.

"Don't worry about it. I'd rather hear you laugh than cry. Speaking of which, I don't know if you've noticed, but you haven't had trouble sleeping lately."

"I know. I noticed. It seems that the issue was with being alone," Jamie smiles sweetly at Jace, leaning her head on his shoulder. She used to think that being alone would make things better, but in fact being on her own made everything worse.

However, having someone with her, namely Jace, brought a feeling of immense comfort and calmed Jamie's nerves. Having Jace's warmth surround her while she sleeps is the best feeling ever and seems to work as a charm that wards off the bad memories.

Maybe it's because Jace was one of the people who came to rescue Jamie from Burns' house, maybe it's because he never treated her like a damaged fragile doll that can't handle reality. From the beginning he treated her like a normal woman. He didn't bring up her past or mock her about it, he only showered her with affection. And Jamie needed that, especially after the horrors she went through. She wanted normalcy and Jace gave her that.

He gave her hope that she can lead a normal life by his side.

While Jamie is lost in her thoughts, Jace glances around the photo albums laid out on the table. He knew his mother would bring them out, but he didn't expect that there would be so many pictures of him.

As he looks at the albums in front of him, one specific picture catches his attention. It's from his sister's sixth birthday. He remembers that day well. Sabrina forced him and Don to dress up as fairies from her favorite cartoon then wanted them all to act out some scenes from it. She even got a cake decorated like a cat from that cartoon. Because of her weak constitution, she couldn't do a lot of things her peers did, so both Don and Jace tried to make it up to her by fulfilling her wishes and keeping her company.