18. ᴅᴀᴡɴ

(Third Person POV)
-
_nala's Laptop
-

Gently, the moon just started to set over the horizon. _nala had stayed awake all night, anticipating today. It had come a little earlier than expected, but he felt ready and impatient anyways. Eyeing the new wires he bought, he grabbed them and plugged them into his computer. Other Chosen was still asleep, but he was bound to wake up in an hour because of his alarm.

Lifting his sleeves, _nala looked down at the X's he'd made in marker. The fact that he'd have to stick metal wires into the places along his arms, legs.. and also where his heart laid was undoubtedly disturbing. He'd never marked his chest, as he didn't want to make Cho worry more than he already was about this plan. Admittedly, he considered going back on this plan a few times because of the pain he'd feel, but he pushed himself to do it.

The coffee machine across the room dinged as the brew finished. Standing up, he walked over to the machine and carefully grabbed the hot cup, careful not to spill any. His gloves insulated the burning surface, thankfully, allowing him to hold it firmly without having the fear of dropping it or burning his hands.

Sitting it down carefully on the table before him, he pulled up the program that would give him the ability to convert energy from the computer directly into him. He looked up and down the lines of code that he had written with his own hands.

The greatest hacker in the world, about to risk his life for something that had never been done before, mostly because people didn't even know this was possible. _nala sat back, spun his chair and looked at the room around him, taking in the tense silence. The sun was beginning to rise already. How long had he stayed up again?

It was all a blur to him. The night rushed by, it felt like only now he had gained consciousness. He kept on thinking and thinking about it, and the more he thought about it, the more he wanted to back away. Even if he did want to, his own damn thoughts kept abusing him back into the idea. Sometimes, he wished he could shut off his head and let it just rest for a second.

But he was _nala. That was impossible to do.

"Ugh.. morning Nal.."

_nala immediately turned around.

"Oh, you're up."

"Yeah. Big day, huh?"

"Yep.."

It was quiet for a second.

"Hey, Alan..?"

"Hm?"

"Are you sure if this is still a good idea? I mean.. you could get really hurt.."

_nala shook his head. "I don't know, but I have to do it."

"..."

"..."

"Alan?"

"Yes?"

"What.. what happens if you die?"

_nala was shocked at the question. Death is a possibility. It was only now he thought about it.

"If.. if that happens.. I.. well.."

He had to close his eyes and think.

"..well. If that happens, I want you to continue my reign as _nala. I'll leave everything on this laptop to you. Let people still think I'm alive.."

"B-But.. I couldn't.."

"..Chosen, please. You can lock the computer up so no one else gets in, and I've created a program that will help you. That's only if, but it's not certain."

Other Chosen stayed silent.

"I'm going to give us the life I promised. I swear.

Prepare our forces, and.. screw it, post the coordinates, and make sure they reach the Resistance.

I want to see them fall before me, like they're supposed to."