Chapter 21

Skeppy POV

I'm not sure if it's because of the message I sent, or the fact that Bad can't deny he was feeling lonely too, but I'm glad to be back to normal.

And normal is how I describe it, because I can't fully remember how things were before, but we seem somehow closer now.

"Wanna go to the treehouse?" Bad puts a hand on my shoulder, looking at me with curious eyes. "Just to rest for a bit."

The only other option is to go back to our respective homes, and I'll take any excuse I can to spend time with the demon.

"Yeah, let's go." I stand up to follow him, already feeling colder without the weight of his hand on my shoulder.

It's raining outside, not pouring, but the water is coming down hard enough to make our hair wet and leave us shivering in a matter of minutes.

The atmosphere reminds me a lot of one of my dreams, the one where Darryl and I were dancing in the rain, giggling and tripping like there was no tomorrow. The thought of it warms my cheeks.

Bad turns to face me, a bright smile on his face. "Isn't it pretty? I love the rain!"

"It's beautiful." I breathe. Up until this point, I've never liked this weather, but in this moment, I can't imagine anything better.

Not allowing his grin to falter for even a second, Bad takes my hand and starts running through the moth streets, with only the glow of the street lamps to guide us. As time passes on, the rain starts coming down harder, practically pouring at this point.

By the time we climb the ladder of our treehouse and collapse into the beanbags, we're a drenched, giggling mess.

Due to the insane amounts of energy it takes us to keep a human form, we both allow our disguises to melt away, leaving us an angel and a demon.

The treehouse is pretty secure anyway, what with the lock on the door, the fact that it's hidden in the forest, and the fact that it's pouring rain late at night. There's almost no chance of anyone finding us.

A moment of silence falls between us and for a moment, we just smile at each other, faces smooshed into our respective bean bags.

Glancing across the space at the demon, I'm completely enamored by him. I guess I've always been this way, but right now, with the moonlight shining just right on his messy, slightly damp hair, I can hardly breathe.

Just looking at him right now, all I can think is, this is the man I fell in love with.

"You're practically glowing." Bad says nervously, and it takes a moment to realize he's talking to me. "The diamonds are so pretty."

"Thank you, the light makes you pretty too." My hands find way through the darkness into Bad's own claws.

The air falls into silence, but we're both content. It's still raining, and the gentle pitter-patter of the droplets on the roof act as a drug on me, lulling me to sleep. Even as my eyes flutter shut, I can still feel the weight of Bad's hand in mine.

We're on a road, it seems endlessly long and dark, yet I know there has to be an end somewhere. How else would it be a memory?

It's night time, I can tell that much from the way my eyes droop and the world outside my window is cast in deep shadow.

Darryl is sitting next to me, one hand on the wheel and the other twined with mine. He seems to have a destination in mind, but I'm not sure where it is.

The roof of the car is off right now, revealing an endless amount of stars dotting the sky. It's beautiful.

Maybe it's because I'm in dreamland, or maybe it's because I'm with the love of my life, but time seems to have no meaning. Maybe we drive for only seconds, maybe we drive for hours, all I know is that the sun never rises, and when we pull over, it's in an unfamiliar parking lot.