"Emma, we missed you, I'm glad to have you back."

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. It's not that I didn't want to talk to you, I obviously did, but I was just so stunned that you had approached me first I couldn't really form a sentence. I closed my mouth and swallowed hard before speaking.

"Thank you." I smiled looking to your eyes, they were a chocolate brow, I was right. They were actually a bit lighter than I expected them to be though. You had the type of brown eyes that probably had gold flecks in them when the sun hit them just right. I looked down at my feet as a shuffled to my seat in the back of the room.

A bit after I sat in my seat the girl who sat in front of me turned and faced me.

"Hey, where were you?"

"I had the flu."

"Ah man, well that sucks. I'm Ruby by the way." She turned a bit back so she could reach her hand out. I met her hand with my own in a handshake.

"Emma."

"That's cool, nice To meet you. Maybe we could sit together at lunch?" I smiled and shook my head yes as I pulled out my pencil and notepad. Had I really just made a friend? She turned back and faced the front. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my whole face. The day had been these best yet, minus the excessive makeup work. You began spouting off about Tuesday's assignment- I didn't really understand it, because I hadn't been there, so I just took the notes and listened to the sweet sound of your voice. The way certain words rolled off of your tongue made chills run up my spine.

Before I knew it the class was over, and I was packing up my book bag to go to the next class. I slung my bag over my shoulder, and just as I was about to walk out of the class You stopped me.

"Emma, will you stay behind for a moment, please." I Stopped in my tracks and just nodded, unable to speak. I set my bag on the desk nearest to me and turned to face you. You just stood there shuffling through assignments until everyone was out of the class. Once everyone was out, you glanced up at me and gave me a soft smile.

"Did you understand what was going on in class today? Romeo and Juliet can be a bit confusing, I know, and especially since you weren't Tuesday thru Thursday."

I stood there looking kinda ashamed. No, I didn't understand but I didn't know how to tell you that. Of course I was going to at some point just not today. I shifted in my shoes a bit. I finally spoke up, looking directly at you to see you were already looking at me intently. My face got this odd sensation, and I could feel my cheeks reddening.

"No, I didn't. I took the notes for today any how." You just nodded in Affirmation to my statement.

"Well, I have a free period for seventh period, and I could stay a bit after school if you still have things to catch up on? What class do you have now?" At that time the bell rang and I didn't see the point of even going. Especially if I got to spend another hour with you, and you alone. I was so nervous. Being in the room alone with you meant I had to be careful I wasn't staring, because you could notice easier. I also had to be sure I could speak to you without stuttering like an idiot.

"I have P.E." You nodded again and bent down to write on a sticky note. You handed me the note.

"Just take the pass to your teacher and meet me back in here, I have to make a phone call really quick."

I softly mumbled "okay" not knowing what else to say. I was so excited to be alone with you but nervous, because well, you're you. I walked down the hallway trying to figure out how to not stare at you, which I knew was going to be extremely difficult because again, you're you. I also looked at the note studying your hand writing. It was pretty how some letters absentmindedly interloped with others. Once I got to the gym I slid the note on the table in front of the coach while the other students stretched. He just nodded at me. I was nervous to go back to you. What if I said the wrong things? What if I made it awkward? What if you thought I was weird? I had so many what ifs playing in my head I couldn't even count them.

When I got back to your classroom you were on the phone when I entered. I sat down where my things were and just awkwardly roamed the room with my eyes. I tried not to listen, I really did, but your voice was to compelling I just couldn't help myself.

"I'm sorry, I have a student I need to help. We can go to dinner another day... Don't be mad. It's the first time in awhile I've needed to help anyone... Yes I understand that but- okay." Your voice was stiff, not the usual softness that it had. I immediately felt bad because I took time from you and who ever. I didn't mean to make you miss dinner, and I didn't want to make you late. You offered, yet I felt so guilty.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to intrude on your plans, you can go if you need to. Really." You looked at me and the crease that was in-between your eyebrows softened up. A small smile tugged at your lips and you gently shook your head no before speaking.

"No, Dear, I offered to help you. It's fine, okay?"

I looked down and picked at my fingernails nervously. Even though you said it was okay I still got this sense of guilt. I guess you could tell I felt bad because you reaffirmed your "okay?" With another. I just shook my head yes softly this time. You got up and went to your office for a moment and came back with a rolling chair, similar to the one behind your desk. You put it to the left of yours.

"Here, come sit up here and we can get started." I could feel the redness tugging at my cheeks again. It was one thing to be in the same room as you, but to be right next to you was different. I could study your features better when you weren't looking, and I could watch you mannerisms as you worked.

I grabbed my bag and dropped it next to the chair as I sat in it. You sat next to me, right. Next. To. Me. You cleared your desk a bit- just enough to allow us both a decent amount of work space. You grabbed four sheets of paper; assignments I had missed. That's when I noticed it, the small, glistening engagement band on your left hand. I thought I might throw up right then. That's when I realized that the person you skipped dinner with was probably your fiancé. That made me feel even worse. I tried to remind myself that I didn't find you appealing in that way, but no matter how hard I tried I still did. I stared at your left hand wanting to take the ring off and throw it somewhere across the room, but instead I just sat there and waited for you to start speaking.

Just as you started to speak the sharp ringing of my phone cut you off. I excused myself into the hall, it was the perfect time to get myself together. I didn't even look at the caller ID before answering. I put the phone up to my ear.

"hello?"

"Babe, I miss you." It was Graham my god awful ex.

"Graham, I can't do this right now, I'm in class."

"Baby, don't you miss us. The way my lips felt on yours. Come on Swan."

"Seriously, leave me the fuck alone."

"Baby I'm sorry, Cindy didn't mean anything, I shouldn't-"

"Yeah. You shouldn't have. So fuck you for doing that and for contacting me. There's a reason why I told you not to, because I want nothing to do with you. Luckily I was taken in by a new, loving family, and I no longer have to live anywhere near you it that shithole foster home." On that note I hung up. I was so frustrated I felt my eyes well up with tears of anger. Graham cheated on me twice. I was so close to giving him all of me, but im glad I didn't. I really did love him, and he broke my heart.

I caught my breath and calmed down. Just as I turned to renter the classroom you were standing in the doorway; you had heard my whole conversation. I didn't know If I should have been utterly embarrassed or pissed you had listened. I wiped my eyes just looking at you, your mouth slightly agape, in shock I was guessing. I just shook my head no and rolled my eyes. I was angry you listened. I know I had done it to you, but there was a difference. I couldn't help it, you however got up and came to the door. I pushed myself past you and grabbed my bag and the assignments you didn't get to finish explaining to me and left your class once again. You touched my shoulder in an attempt to stop me, but I kept walking.

"Emma I-" you called after me, but I just kept shaking my head no and you stopped talking. I was so angry at myself for allowing you to hear me, and I was even more angry you had blatantly listened. I didn't care that I still had 30 minutes of seventh period left. I walked out of the school and walked home. I didn't care that I lived 3 miles away either; it was the only thing that kept me from ripping anyone's head off, honestly.