Chapter Twelve - A Little Spy

Börja om från början

People tended to like the loops and swirls in her wire jewellery, and the red went with her outfit nicely.

Isla checked herself out in the mirror as she fluffed her black hair. Perfume would be too obvious, and she wasn't a fan of the stuff, so she left it off. Hopefully Arturo wasn't the sort of guy who cared about that.

She stopped messing with her hair and stared at herself.

Wait a minute, Isla had decided that she didn't care what Arturo thought, she wasn't going to try too hard and perfume would make it obvious that she was trying too hard.

No. This wasn't about her trying too hard. She needed to go down there and impress, but she didn't need to impress him that badly.

This was already going to end in sex, so it wasn't like she had to dress like she was trying for that.

Isla wiped off her lipstick and went for a plain gloss instead. She also opted to not wear any eyeshadow or blush.

She smiled at herself in the mirror.

With her hair fluffed as it was, she had to say, she thought she looked pretty fucking spectacular. She looked approachable, not like a woman who was out for sex, or something else.

Isla looked almost normal, like she could be Arturo's friend, or business confidant, and not just someone he was using for...whatever this game was supposed to be.

She had a whole two minutes to spare when she left her room.

She hadn't expected there to be someone waiting for her.

Not Martina. It was that young female maid from before. She smiled shyly at Isla. "I'm to escort you to the dining hall."

"Oh, of course, lead the way," Isla said, as if she had maids and servants escorting her around all the time.

They walked at a brisk pace down the hall, to the stairs, down the stairs, and then through a series of doors, and holy God, this place was huge.

"So," Isla said. "What's it like working for Mr. Calendri?"

"Oh," said the girl, jumping a little as though she were a mouse being asked a sly question from a cat. "It's nice."

"Just nice?"

"Mr. Calendri is nice."

Isla wasn't going to get any information out of this girl. She could ask for her name and the girl might not even tell her. Was there a rule about the woman speaking to her? Or was it just the men?

They must've been getting close to the dining hall, because Isla could then hear Arturo's voice. He didn't sound too happy.