01 - Meeting her

It is yet another boring shift at the restaurant. I really hate working here. The restaurant is full, the usual scene for a typical Thursday night. I serve some drinks, prepare food orders, and clean tables. To be honest, I only took his job to care for my studies in a financial way. Five years ago I decided to study literature. I was always impressed and inspired by words. My parents however weren't happy with my decision. They were sure I had no opportunity to care for myself with a literature degree. I should have studied law like all my cousins. To my parents, I was a disappointment.

How did I end up working at a 4-star gourmet restaurant? When I started university at the age of 20, I needed every penny I could get. And so I had the great idea to send applications to almost every restaurant that was in a 50-kilometer range. Somehow, 'The Finesse' was impressed by my incredibly boring resume and decided to invite me for trial work. I was incredibly scared but managed to do quite well. Over the past five years of working there, I've upgraded to being the waitress with the best reputation. I worked my ass off for this stupid job, so they better give me the attention and recognition I deserve.

"Y/N, order for table 4," my boss shouts. He brings me back from my little daydream. I gather everything together and go into the hall to fulfill my work. As I take orders I notice a familiar face.

"Hey Greta, long time no see," I greet my friend. Greta is a 45-year-old woman. She has a heart of gold but unfortunately, she had several troubles in her marriage. Her husband cheated on her several times with his younger coworkers and it left her heartbroken.

"What can I get you?" I ask as I walk back behind the counter.

"I'm feeling a little bold today. Could you give me a drink with alcohol?" she says and my eyes widen at her words. She never orders anything with alcohol. Usually, her orders contain a cup of coffee and a glass of water.

I walk towards a table to take the order of an older couple when the door swings open and two people walk in. As I take a closer look I see a man and a blonde woman. She looks absolutely beautiful, wearing a suit with a long coat and heels. I give them a bit of time to settle before I go and take their drink orders.

"Welcome to 'The Finesse', what would you like to drink?" I ask politely while I take out my notepad to write down their order. I feel the woman's gaze on me. As I look at her, she smiles at me. Her blue eyes are shining. The smile suits her pretty face so well.

"A beer for me and a dry martini with olive for my wife please," the man says but I recognize the annoyed undertone.

I give him a fake smile and walk towards the kitchen to prepare their drinks. Ever so often I glance at the blonde. She looks so elegant. I'm mesmerized by her beauty.

A few minutes later I have their drinks ready.

"A beer and a dry martini with olive," I say and place their glasses on the table, "Have you decided on what to eat already?"

"Yes. I'd like the Pasta Fettucci-" the blonde starts but she's cut off by her husband.

"A steak for me and a salad for her. That would be all," he says coldly.

"Harge, I wanted-" she starts but he silences her with a stern look.

I feel incredibly uncomfortable. What a prick he is. His wife wanted to eat something real, not just a stupid salad. I look at her, hoping to see her beautiful smile again but it is replaced by a frown. She looks down, not meeting my eyes at all. Anger starts to rise in me. I make it my mission to make that woman happy.

As I am back behind the counter, I prepare the food: A steak, a salad, and a small plate of Pasta Fettuccine. I won't deny her wish.
"Y/N, for god's sake, they haven't ordered pasta. You have to get their orders right. You've been working here for so long," my boss shouts. He's pissed.