Izuku pursed his lips, clearly lost in thought, then grabbed a blank piece of paper and placed it front of you. He'd brought some pencils as well.

"Try writing your name," he suggested. "If you were able to understand our language just by being exposed to it, maybe it's the same with reading and writing too. Maybe it'll come to you much quicker than you think."

You decided there was no harm in trying, so you did just that.

"This is how you write my name," you smiled proudly, lifting up the paper so that Izuku could see it better.

Regretfully, he just looked even more worried than before. "I-I've definitely never seen anything like this before," he stammered. "I'm pretty sure there's no language like this anywhere on Earth. Then again, I guess that's not surprising, since you're literally from a whole different world..."

You frowned, then took another peek back at the contact Izuku had saved on your phone. No matter how hard you tried, you failed to understand how the symbols he'd inputted were meant to translate. You were lucky to have grasped the spoken language right away, otherwise you would've probably been speaking in gibberish on the streets and people would have thought you were insane. Unfortunately, as for reading and writing, it looked like you were going to have to learn it the hard way.

"I'll do my best to teach you the basics," Izuku reassured. "But, um... while you're here, I think it'd be good to consider going to school. You'll learn everything you need there. And there's a limit to what I can teach you all on my own."

"School sounds fun," you beamed.

"Have you been to school before?"

"Not really. My parents hired various tutors to teach me academics back at home."

"R-Right. I guess royalty have a different way of doing things. But," he perked up, "I'm sure you probably received a really solid education, so you'll have no trouble picking things up here. It might seem intimidating at first, but you're smart, [Name]. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out."

"How do you know that I'm smart?" you asked.

"Well... aren't you?"

"Am I?"

You both stared at each other for a good while. Clearly, this was a stalemate.

"Anyways!" Izuku continued. "I'm going to start with the foundation of all the basics. And you can learn to write your name while we're doing this. It'll be a good first step."

You gripped your pencil tight and nodded, eager to learn.

*****

Japanese was hard. Actually, you supposed you should say that learning a new language from scratch was hard in and of itself, but based on what Izuku had told you, Japanese was one of the most difficult languages to learn in this world-especially for a non-native speaker.

So, yeah. That was great.

Even so, you weren't deterred in the slightest. It wasn't like there was much you could do about it, after all. Moving to a different country all of a sudden certainly wasn't an option, plus, you weren't willing to sever your connection with Izuku either. This was your home now, and you had a good feeling about this place. You just needed to put in the effort to make it your own.

Izuku did what he could to teach you, but attending school was obviously the most efficient approach. Actually getting into school, however, was a different matter altogether. You'd initially been thinking that your stay with Izuku would be a temporary one, but you were already afraid of being separated from him. You didn't know what you would do if you were left alone. Teenagers like you weren't allowed to live on their own, so most likely, you would end up being placed in an orphanage since no one was around to take care of you.