Forever Home (Alma Peregrine)

Alma loved to fly. As one of the fastest bird species, that should've been a given. But she did. Truly. As an Ymbryne, Alma was expected and enjoyed to go on around above the immediate vicinity of her Home and their loop entrance. But Alma often noticed she went a bit too far. She often say ocean before she saw hostiles. This time, she kept going. She sometimes crossed the ocean and looked down on modern Wales. She perched on a building and stared at the Normals. Even miles out, she could feel a Peculiar on the mainland. So, it was good that she went so far from her loop's island. Like a hawk, she fixed onto a single female sitting at a table with an umbrella useless for other than blocking her. 

The sun was only just rising, so you cranked the picnic umbrella shut... just in time for a large blue, multi-printed bird to land on the table. Her talons hooked into the crisscross pattern of the table. You stared at her with wide eyes, but continued to talk on the phone. "Is it really?" you asked the no-doubt Normal on the other end. You idly offered the bird a cracked cockle and she eagerly ate all of your offerings. You smiled at her when she ran her face along your hand, and she was instantly enchanted. She almost forgot she was in her bird form and you weren't even smiling at her. "Well, I can't do that. Our trips would just be chasing each other's. Well, I'd like to go on one trip not alone." You spoke those words quietly.

That perked Alma up better than anything could. A peculiar out in the world alone was always dangerous. Whether you knew or not could either increase or decrease how dangerous it was. And you were on a trip, so... not familiar with Wales. Alma already knew she liked you. Whether you were a danger or not, or if you would even fit in her loop were entirely separate matters. 

"That is so Welsh." Alma heard the 'oy!' in response and she delighted in your laughter. "Well, I am house-sitting so maybe- Hey, now. Your home is only less beautiful because you're accustomed to it. I think it's lovely, even if it's always muggy here." You suddenly scoffed and stared at your celestial designed home screen. You faced the bird dramatically. "Maybe she went through a tunnel."

She chittered in a definite bird sound, but almost like a laugh. That earned her a bug-eyed look which almost made her laugh again. Alma decided in that moment, you did belong in her loop, regardless of your clearly adult age. Traveling the world alone was much too dangerous and you obviously needed an Ymbryne to keep you from such self-inflicted dangers. 

You read a book, some long novel holding all of your attention until you finish a chapter and returned to the world. The bird was gone, as you anticipated it would be, and the large open space was now heavily populated. The masses made you anxious and so you left. Cardiff was by no means a small place so you had lots to explore. This particular area, likely a sort of shopping center, was a little tourist trap and you bought a not-sundress because Cardiff had been overcast the entire time you were there. But the tourist trap was packed too. 

A bookstore was nice and quiet, and you browsed for a bit before finding heaven in the back. Two plush armchairs faced a lit fireplace. A figurine of a big, blue bird set on the mantle made you pause. A pile of books rested between them, but you paid them no mind, making a home of the comfortable seat to the right. You looked around, almost frightened you weren't supposed to be in them. You pulled out your novel and cracked it open.

The book wasn't an unfamiliar one, rather one you'd read several times. And you were deep into the resolution when a voice startled you. 

"Do you mind if-"

You almost jumped out of your skin, turning to face the jump-scaring woman with wide eyes. 

She was an attractive giver of heart attacks. She was dark haired, but it appeared a bit blue when the fire burned bright enough. It was all bound behind her head, except for a single strand curling off to the side of her head. She was dressed entirely in blue and you were starting to sense a pattern. She was wearing a skirt, odd for the weather, though not if she was a native, and a blazer in the same color. She wore vintage shoes with a curved heel that expanded when it reached the bottom. The top parted like it had a tongue, and if you had shoes like that, vintage or otherwise, you'd wear them too. You trailed your eyes up her pantyhose, modest outfit, all the way up to her striking eyes. Her clothes led you to believe they were the same color, but you could've sworn they were green. You didn't know. "-I sit here," the woman finally finished her request.