Chapter 39

Simon's POV:

10 Years Ago..

I was sitting in the waiting area at the airport of Spain, looking at a crying kid blankly.

He was sobbing and seemed lost and scared, he had no adult with him.

I came to Spain to meet an important client and now I am going back to England, my home country.

The kid seemed to be five or six years old and was looking around with his big teary eyes.

I was too distracted with my own thoughts...

I had nothing in me left.. except bitterness and hate!

I stared at the kid blankly, at least he could sob when he felt sad..

My eyes stuck to the kid when a teenage girl approached him and wiped his tears as she said something to him.

The kid looked at her and started sniffling while hiccuping. The girl cooed him and picked him up in her arms, gently caressing his back. When the kid calmed down and stopped crying, she sat him on the seat in front of mine.

"I will help you find your parents, just don't cry, baby, you're a strong kid, right?" Her soft voice was like a soothing balm on my burning heart.

The kid nodded at her, "that's a good boy. Now let's go!"

She took his hand and walked out. I don't know why but I followed them and saw the girl going to the airport service but when they didn't get a response from the kid's parents, I saw her helping the kid to find his parents, going around the whole airport, until she missed her own flight.

Turns out the parents didn't understand the language and were searching for their kid as well. After she successfully sent the kid to his parents safely, they thanked her and she waved at him.

There wasn't an ounce of regret on her face for missing her flight. Instead, she looked happy. A genuine smile appeared on my lips for the first time in years without even me knowing.

She flew to the US that day and I somehow got her name, Adira Jackson!

Her act of selflessness engraved in my heart. Few years passed by, but I never forgot that girl until one day, I saw her again... Luckily, in my office!

But she changed...

***********

I stared at the sleeping woman, laying in my bed, snoring softly. I sighed and looked at the file in my hands, before moving my gaze to her again.

She would never smile at me like she smiled at that kid years ago. I waited for years to see her that smile but I never got one. There was something missing in her smile and that was the sparks that I saw years ago but now no matter how happy she was, there was a part of her that was empty and I was not the one who could fill that empty spot...

She stirred and woke up. When she noticed me sitting on the couch staring at her, she stood up in panic.

"I'm sorry, Ares. I must have troubled you."

"You never troubled me, Adira!" I stood up and went towards her.

"I asked my man to bring some new clothes for you. You can refresh and change. It's in the bathroom." I gestured to her and she went to change after thanking me.

I stared out of the window while waiting for her. She came out of the bathroom after a while, dressed up fully. I smiled at her and took her hands in my hands as I stroked her ring finger for the last time, before gently removing it. She looked at me shocked.