"Nathaniel." Grandpa's voice is firm in a way I've never heard before. "It would have been terrible and cruel if everyone in my life assumed I was just like my father. And what about you? What if everyone judged you based on the actions of your father?"

Nate grimaces. "Don't try to defend him."

Grandpa folds his newspaper up and sets it down on the table. "Of course I'm going to defend him. We are alike. More alike than you and I will ever be. I understand Grayson, I understand the depths of his thoughts and his feelings. I understand the surface of his pain. You're lucky you will never have to. All your father ever did was not know how to be loyal."

I have to fight back a small smile because Nate is stunned into silence. He pushes out of his chair and storms off, cheeks pink.

"Thanks, Dave," Grayson smiles shyly and everyone laughs and it seems like the energy is back to normal.

"Dave?" I ask, looking at Grayson across the table as everyone else continues their private conversations.

"Don't worry. He's okay with it," he answers, throwing an arm over my Grandpa's shoulder. "You're so poetic. I could listen to you talk all day."

"So is my granddaughter," Grandpa grins at me and I smile.

"Poetic? No, Dave, not at all. Snarky seems like a better word. Maybe even a tad bit boorish."

Grandpa chuckles softly.

"Did you eat a dictionary this morning?"

"Not really. I just heard your grandpapa speak and it just ... inspired something in me. I could honestly write a song right now. I feel like I'm on fire."

Me and my grandparents laugh at his silliness and in that moment I wonder how anyone could ever believe the things they say about Grayson Wallace. A part of me feels like my grandpa defending him meant something to him and that makes me happy.

"Have you ever considered public speaking?" I hear Grayson ask my grandpa as I get up for a second cup of coffee. "You'd be damn good at it, Dave."

I realize I left my phone on the counter earlier, when I turn it over it appears I have a text.

Liam: couldnt find u last night. did you give any thought to what i said??

God, I still hate the way he fucking texts. Surely he has autocorrect or something?

Layla: Need more time.

His reply comes back instantly.

Liam: how much?? i miss you :(

Maybe forever.

"Desperate fuck." I almost scream with fright because Grayson just whispered right next to my ear.

"Holy mother!" I lock my phone and set it back on the counter, continuing to do what I was doing before I looked at my phone. The coffee pours into my cup smoothly all the way up to the top, the sound somehow soothing.

"Who was that? The infamous ex?"

"Look at you. You're so smart, you put two and two together."

"Liam? I'm sorry, you dated a guy named Liam?"

I exhale, splashing a tiny bit of hazelnut creamer into my cup. "What would you have preferred, Bartholomew?"

Grayson nods, taking the coffee pot from where I set it down. "Actually, yes. Bartholomew would not have cheated on you."

"And you can prove that, how?"

"That's beside the point." Grayson shakes his head. "Why is he texting you I miss you? And what's up with that sad face is he deranged?"