Chapter 23

Daenyra stood tall next to Aegon as they waited. The arena around them was filled to the brim with lords and ladies. But there were also servants and common folk who all sat silently as they waited. 

The first to be brought out was Jacerys and Joffery, followed shortly by Aegon and Viserys (Daemon and Rhaenyra's sons). After a few moments, Daemon was dragged out as well. 

Finally, the guards dragged out Rhaenyra into the light of day. 

The crowd remained completely silent as Queen Daenyra stood from her throne. She slowly walked down the steps into the arena where so many tourneys had been held before. 

It felt like so long ago that the sisters had once sat up in the king's box, watching the heir's tournament as their mother lay dying in her birthing chambers. Now they stood on opposite sides, enemies. 

In the center of the arena was a large unit pyre.  

"Rhaenyra Targaryen, you have been charged with treason against Westeros and Essos. The Lords of Westeros have voted and found you guilty and unanimously sentenced you to death..." 

Two maids entered the arena as well holding in their arms a stiff cloth-wrapped bundle. They could hear Aegon release a choked sob as the maids put Daegon's body in her arms. The golden queen finally laid the two-week dead babe on his funeral pyre.

"Here lay my son, Daegon Targaryen. You killed my son, sweet sister. I demand payment so you may choose which of your Veleryon sons will burn with mine. Jacerys or Joffery. Whoever you decide lives, I will grant them the heirship of Driftmark. Your sons with Daemon will be sent to serve on the night watch. If you refuse to pick, they both will burn with you and my son."

"NO! Please! Please sister my children are innocent-"

"SO WAS MINE! ... NOW CHOOSE RHAENYRA! IT WAS SO EASY TO CONDEMN MY SON TO DEATH, WHY HESITATE NOW?"
"NO!"

"PICK!"

"PLEASE DON'T" 

"CHOOSE!"

"JOFFERY!"

If possible the world fell even more silent.

"Jacerys will live! Joffery will burn at my side..." Tears streamed down Rhaenyra's face as she avoided looking at her heartbroken son. 

With a nod from Daenyra, Rhaenyra was tied to the funeral pyre along with... Jacerys.

"What? No, Joffery! I CHOSE JOFFERY!" 

Daenyra didn't respond ignoring Rhaenyra's cries as they were both bound to the Pyre. 

"Daemon... Have you made your decision?" The conqueror asked, turning her attention away from her sobbing sister.

"Yes... I will join you in Essos. I will remain at your side." Daemon responded, smirking slightly at the betrayed look Rhaenyra sent him. 

"Princess Rhaenyra of the house Targaryen, you have been found guilty of treason against Westeros and Essos. In a unanimous vote by the lords of the realm... I, Queen Daenyra 'the Conquerer' of House Targaryen, first of her name, Queen of Essos, the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and protector of the realm. Lady of Camalot, Protector of the Free Lands, the Mother of Twin Realms, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, The Golden Queen, and the Breaker of Chains, sentence you to death by dragon fire."

From the air Ceniza landed, her wings nearly knocking the crowd onto the ground. 

As if reading her rider's mind Ceniza positioned herself awaiting orders. 

"PLEASE! SISTER, MERCY! I LOVE YOU! WE ARE OF ONE BLOOD YOU SAID SO YOURSELF! I AM SORRY!"

"I don't want your regret... Just your life... DRACARYS!" 

With a single word, the dance of dragons had ended and Daenyra Targaryen had won the game...