Great Power Conference

Start from the beginning

It was he who broke the final resistance by saying, "First of all, we should represent Polish thought and then Communist thought. Both comrades came to Poland's aid in a time of hardship, the fact that she was against the Soviets is irrelevant. After all, we also played our best against them. Therefore, I believe that there is no problem at all for these ships to be named in honor of the heroic American comrades."

In this way, another breach was made in the prevailing doctrine, which, of course, very quickly began to have consequences in the form of remembering and referring to the Polish Armed Forces in the West much more broadly and sincerely as well as a revision of thinking about the Second Republic.

Former members of the Home Army, hitherto hiding from public opinion because of the pressure on the Communist People's Army, which attributed untoward merits belonging to both the Home Army and the NSZ, began to come out of the shadows and tell the truth. The same is true of veterans of the Polish-Bolshevik War, soldiers and sailors of the Armed Forces in the West who came to Poland after the war and remained despite the harassment they were subjected to by the communist collaborationist authorities.

In short, the Armed Forces in the East had to give way to the previous hegemony. Only the NSZ still treated as bandits, often wrongly, and because of its resistance to the communist partisans and the people's state after the war had to take constant cover.

Not surprisingly, the "famous" People's Guard the predecessor of the People's Army as well as the AL itself were destroyed by Polish nationalists seeing them as justifiably bandits, stealing from starving compatriots as well as causing the constant shedding of Polish blood as a result of pacification actions undertaken by the occupiers as part of repressions.

If the Nationalists were given a voice, it very quickly became clear how "useful" the Communists were in the guerrilla war. In contrast, there was no consensus in communist society on the truth. But for the NSZ, too, the time will one day come.

Nevertheless, let's leave this song of the future and return to the present.

The Polish destroyer sailed without much effort. The Polish crew, trained by the Americans who then headed for their future home after training, handled the ship of the future without much trouble. The conscripted sailors did well, although they did not show the level of enthusiasm one would expect. The war was over and the behavior of the conscripts had returned to the level of just getting through the draft, nothing else mattered to them.

Of course, not all Americans went to New America, a few of them stayed on as contract officers. That is, with the consent of the American government and admiralty, they were drafted into the Polish Navy as officers under Polish rules. They were given the analogous rank that should follow in the Polish hierarchy, are paid by the Polish budget and enjoy the other benefits of being a Polish officer.

This is not a new thing in the Polish Army, the first such officers were French officers sent immediately after the November armistice to the reborn Poland. Merian Cooper himself was also such an officer. Remaining citizens of a foreign country, they undertook service in the Polish armed forces for the period specified in their contract.

It was somewhat similar to mercenary service with the difference that they did still remain loyal to their homeland. Of course, this had its downside, you could not be promoted as such an officer, you had to disband and sign a new contract for a new higher rank. And, of course, such officers remained under constant surveillance by counterintelligence.

And this one, especially during the communist period, was extremely effective and terrifying. Few foreign agents managed to function under their noses for long. Ryszard Kuklinski is one such exception.