Last Fight

A Polish aviator can fly even on a barn door - Anonim

15 April 1640 C.C.Y/1975 P.C

Kingdom of Altaras

Temporary 78th Tactical Air Base at Le Brias Royal Airfield.

14:07

Jen Robitet quietly performed his duties in the flight control center which, courtesy of the Poles, had been significantly modernized so that it bore little resemblance to the old tower erected by Mu.

He was one of the few members of the Altaras Army, or more precisely the newly formed Air Force, who actively cooperated with the Polish Army in its operations.

Altaras pilots, despite the harsh training regime, were still insufficiently trained in the opinion of their new allies.

He didn't disagree with that statement, especially after he had a chance to look into the cockpit of one of those jet training machines the Poles call "Iskra". A complicated damn thing, that's what!

He was much more fond of the slower but safer and easier to fly propeller "Bies"

Only one thing puzzles him: what is the point of all these letters and numbers in every official name of the vehicle if they are called differently by everyone anyway, like for example MiG-21 which for a long time was incomprehensibly called "Pencil".

That was until he got his hands on a pencil when they exchanged all those cumbersome pens for pens, fountain pens and pencils. Then he understood the nickname.

"Pretty funny those nicknames the Poles gave those Migs of theirs right Lugo?" He said to his colleague sitting attentively over the radar. Unfortunately, he didn't react because he kept staring at the radar and every few seconds he tapped the device with his finger.

"What the hell is wrong with this equipment!" He muttered to himself under his breath with Lugo's anger at the obviously faulty equipment.

"Something wrong Lugo?" Asked Jen louder and seeing no response tapped him on the shoulder.

"What?" Growled Lugo to him.

"I'm asking you what happened." Replied Jen anxiously, it was rare for his friend to get angry.

"This thing must have screwed up, it shows and disappears one dot only for a moment as if it discovered an object, only to realize later that it was a mistake. Something must have gone wrong with the electronics." Lugo replied and then began to check the device.

"I guess that's more of a job for a technician?" Replied Jen raising an eyebrow at the unusual repair technique of banging on the radar in various places and seeing if the problem went away.

"I guess so, can you call him?" Replied Lugo after a long moment seeing that it would do nothing.

"Sure." After which Jen went to fetch the specialist Ensign Daniel Sznajder assigned to the unit on loan from the Poles. He found him after a long search downstairs where he was explaining something to a couple of Altaras soldiers while smoking a cigarette.

"Ensign Sznajder, may I interrupt you? The matter is for you." He asked in between sentences in a conversation interrupted by some technological gibberish he didn't understand.

"You already did." He said jokingly to him then added. "Okay what's the matter, that weird Japanese coffee maker broke down again?" Jen squirmed remembering the incident from a week ago.

"That's not the point, something happened to Radar." Replied Jen calmly.

Sznajder immediately turned serious as if on command. "What happened?"