Expected Contact

When at last I found the village gray and gloomy

I asked him where he had gone and what was the name of the country

Moved with pity, I listened to the novels of old.

About Poland wiped off all the world's maps.

- Porando Kaiko (Memory of Poland) Naobumi Ochiai- Excerpt from the Japanese Poem Journey on Horseback, which includes the first stanza of the above-mentioned Song

The first official contact between Poland and Japan took place in the international waters between the island on which the Kingdom of Altaras is located and the mainland Roderius, on the bases of ORP Warszawa on the Polish side and JS Kongo on the Japanese side.

 It happened on April 26, a day after the Great Battle of Roderius, which was victorious for the Japanese. In that battle they sunk without losses 1400 Lourii ships out of their total number of 4400.

The two ships met at a pre-arranged spot, when one of the Polish Il-28s was intercepted by a key of Japanese F-15J fighters as it flew over the water towards Japan. The encounter nearly ended with the Il-28 being shot down as they tried to communicate with each other. 

The problem was that the Polish pilots did not speak English and the Japanese did not speak Russian. Fortunately, it turned out by accident that both sides knew German, which avoided a clash that the IL-28 could not win, of course.

This meeting was one of several meetings held by aircraft over the next few days, before the two countries were linked by satellite from Japan. 

The meeting was finally to take place at sea because of distrust between the parties, especially on the Polish side surprised that the signals received were coming from Japan. Eventually it was agreed that the meeting of diplomats would take place on board of ships.

For the Poles, of course, it was a problem, given that of the three largest and most powerful ships, only ORP Warszawa was a ship modern enough to take up arms in case it was a sneak attack by surprise of the capitalists, Officially. 

Unofficially, it was due to the fact that ORP Grom had already been withdrawn from service and was waiting to be dismantled and ORP Wicher was to be withdrawn from service. Needless to say, both ships were hastily restored to battle, but there was more work on Grom and what was done was a typical makeshift job.

Another thing is that the only hope for the Polish ships in battle was to use their speed, which was greater than that of the Kongo class destroyers sent to meet them, and to hit them with Polish guns, because Polish ships as such did not have rockets to fight the enemy ships.

Description and technical data of Polish and ex-Soviet ships type Smielyj / NATO type Skoryi report to JSDF

This is a typical post-war destroyer belonging to the most numerous class of ships. After the war the whole class numbered 70 ships in total, although 85 were planned.
The destroyers themselves were built between 1947 and 1953.