Siege of Altaras

Lions led by donkeys.- Erich Ludendorff about the British soldiers

Dąbrowszczaków Naval Shipyard in Gdynia
Harbour coast
August 1, 1974 P.C./ 1639 C.C.Y.

Today was a special day for the Kingdom of Altaras. Namely, on that day new ships for their navy were to be commissioned. These were the already proven 912M project ships called the Grozny type. They were chasers officially. In reality, because they were the modernized version of the 912, they were in fact patrol ships.

This resulted from two reasons, the first because of the extension of the Polish definition, the second because of the need to get new ships of this type, and the project 620 which was to replace the chasers with new corvettes according to the development of ships was in suspension because of the disappearance of the USSR. 

Because of this, de facto they started to plan again a big part of the new ship, but this time with more money and pressure to develop what PRL didn't have.

The other thing is that according to the Warsaw Pact doctrine such ships were multi-purpose and easily fulfilled both functions.

So far the first batch of four ships had been completed and the next four were on the way. The project was given priority for political reasons, therefore they managed to finish all eight ships in three months. 

That is, they broke their own record, considering that the Polish ships of the Grozny type had been under construction for two years. The ships themselves did not have any changes in relation to the original, except of course for the improvements in their construction which only sped up the whole process, and the removal of the ASW equipment and replacing it with mines.

The new ships were named Couragex after the lead ship.

Description and technical data of the Altaran Couragex class ships

Description and technical data of the Altaran Couragex class ships. Report to JDSF

The ship itself is based on Project 912M and is called Grozny by Poles, which means Dangerous and not the name of the city in USSR and in NATO code Obluze Mod.

Looking at it's appearance and official armament data it is a patrol craft not a chaser. Removed for ease of use and simply because there is no point in Altaras having such equipment, all related to anti-submarine warfare. Their possible future enemy will not have such ships, and the equipment itself is outdated even for Poland, moreover, they themselves say in the official instructions that the task of fighting submarines is SECONDARY.

However, the project itself should be evaluated as a very good patrol vessel and a modern one for Poland. The original 912 project called the Fala class was developed in the late 1960's. Compared to the Fala, the Couragex class ships are what the Grozny class ships were originally intended to be. The design itself, of course, for reasons of delayed construction did not undergo any significant changes, but the layout of rooms and passageways was improved even more and the superstructure was redesigned more, increasing the firing angle even more compared to the slight change in Grozny in this respect.