Native Identity

In this book, we'll give you a brief guide on important terms, movements and more within Indian Country and Native communities across the globe. Take the time to learn from, advocate for, and uplift Indigenous peoples and allies.

We will be including some triggering themes in this story, such as genocide, colonialism and its effects. Though our work will be unfiltered, it will remain centered around urgency, hope and speaking from the heart.

We encourage respectful conversation in the comments. Please remember that what we share is not up for debate because it is the real experiences of real people. When asking questions, be mindful of how you ask. Here at @WPIndigenous it is our goal to remain receptive and informative, but we don't always have the energy to answer everything for you. We encourage you ask everything on your mind so that we can talk it out in a thoughtful, open conversation. What we can't articulate for you, we will do our best to provide you resources that can teach you the knowledge you're looking for.

For any suggestions on what we should cover, please comment in this chapter only. Please do not comment in other chapters because we want to A) not confuse any readers, and B) respect the contents of each chapter as, like we mentioned above, some of these chapters may cover some hard truths with triggering emotions attached.

With that being said, we will be covering more than just the plight of Native Americans and Indigenous peoples across the globe. Including terminology such as ways we may identify, language we use, and more, we want to respectfully share aspects of our communities and cultures so that you may come to A) connect and relate with us, and B) understand who we are, where we come from and the relationship you have with us as individuals and as a collective.

Lastly, Native people and the Native identity is not a monolith. We will prioritize this message in each chapter we post to remind you all that each individual is not defined by the limitations of another individual. There is not only one way to be Native.

As a reminder, you can always connect with members of the WP Indigenous community by visiting our board, stories and Discord (coming soon as of 5/5/2023). You can also PM us if you'd like to chat, but we can't get to everyone. Thank you for your time, patience, energy, interest, support and love!