5: Deinococcus Radiodurans

Jeremy doesn't receive another opportunity to process his newfound feelings for the next three days. When the second earthquake hits later that day, the biochemist takes the time to finish his blueprints from earlier on a table at the campsite. With extensive research, he thinks it's possible for him to build a seismometer from scratch. It'll be a bit old fashioned, but as long as they start actively recording data-

"Jeremy!" Hector calls, "Why do I need to buy all this?" The man promptly dumps an extensive handwritten list of groceries and hardware supplies on top of Jeremy's blueprints.

"First of all," Jeremy replies, "It's because I know how to cook. If you had your way, we'd be living off microwaveables for the whole trip."

"Since when did you learn how to cook?" Hector asks in disbelief.

Jeremy ignores him. "Second," the biochemist continues, "I'm making a seismometer from scratch. If we can get consistent data on the earthquakes, it's possible to enter the mountains during their latent periods. We're not getting anywhere if we just keep asking around, so I'm going to do something about it."

Hector stares at Jeremy.

"Seriously?" Hector blurts out, "You know normal people can't do that, right? You sure you're not some kind of genius?"

"Not at all," the biochemist counters, "This isn't much compared to what a skilled seismologist and an engineer could do. If we can't find a seismologist or an engineer out here, it stands to reason that I'm just going to have to do it myself. Since I don't have the credentials, though, I won't be able to publish anything credible about this whole investigation ... just so you know."

Hector breaks into a smile and places a hand on Jeremy's shoulder. Then, he takes the opportunity to announce, "I knew you'd might say that, so I figured I'd look into something you'd find interesting!" The paranormal investigator digs into his pocket and places the wad of paper in his lap.

Out of curiosity, Jeremy accepts the paper and carefully flattens it out on the table in front of him. After he opens it, Hector retracts his hand to look over Jeremy's shoulder. The biochemist skims an old print out of a sample of a slightly transparent and gelatinous clump, which appears to be mainly composed of Deinococcus Radiodurans, a bacteria that survives extreme radioactive conditions.

"Hector," Jeremy continues, "Why didn't you show me this earlier? This sample was found in this area sixteen years ago, and look inside this picture!"

"There's something in these cells," Jeremy emphasizes, "This bacteria contains a self-repairing ring-like structure in the center here, but there's something else inside of it."

"Deinococcus radiodurans doesn't have a capsule! It has a nucleoid," Jeremy explains, "The strange thing is that this capsule's duplicating in the center of the cell with it in addition to the nucleoid! According to this section here-" Jeremy points at the bottom of the passage, "They found this sample at the base of these mountains. There's probably more clusters of this stuff around!"

"Hector, if I can get a hold of these samples, I could get into contact with a couple of colleagues to break it down! It doesn't look like the professor who worked on it bothered to break this thing open, and if that's the case ..." Jeremy continues, "I'd be set for life."

"I only understood about half of that," Hector admits.

Jeremy reaches over and grabs Hector's shoulders. The scientist breaks into a warm smile and continues, "You'd probably be one of the only paranormal investigators out there with your name on a reputable study. Your credibility would go through the roof!"

Jeremy's excitement  the man look years younger, and Hector swallowed.