10. Part One

Friday,
August 2nd, 2017
10:14 AM

Nyla B.

I padded up the steps of the private jet with Elijah following behind, carrying Eliana in his arms. She could hardly compose herself this morning, upon finding out that we'd be traveling in an airplane. This will be her first time flying and while witnessing everything that is a first for her are gifts I'll cherish for a lifetime, I'm nervous about all things concerning this weekend. The questions regarding Eliana's sudden appearance, the judgement from those who may know my transgression against Elijah, and most of all, the close confinements he and I will share for the next couple of days.

"Daddy, the jet have TV," Eliana pointed to the mounted sixty-five inch television, "I want to watch Dora." I sat my purse on one of the recliners and looked over to the father and daughter duo. Still holding onto Eliana, Elijah took the remote from the table and turned on the television, "I ordered every episode, just for you," keeping his view on the electronic, he smothered her cheek in kisses, her small hands latching onto each side of his face while she giggled, as Dora began to stretch across the television screen.

"Mr. Davis," the tall, slender pilot approached, "we'll be taking off in five minutes." Elijah returned a subtle nod and sat Eliana in the recliner, fastening her in, "we 'bout to go up. You ready, big girl?" Eliana's eyes grew wide and extended her arm out, her hand alternating between opening and closing, "I sit with mommy." Elijah unfastened her seatbelt and I removed my bag from the chair, taking a seat and holding my arms out for Eliana.

She climbed into my lap and I kissed the top of her head, "are you ready to see all of the different clouds? Maybe a Stratus or Cirrus cloud?" Shifting her body, her back now facing the aisle, she wrapped her arm around me and laid her head on my chest. Billy bad ass was petrified.

I went to reach for the seatbelt and with the speed of lightening, Elijah took possession of it. Our eyes met with one another, as he hovered over us and pulled the seatbelt across our bodies. He nor I pulled away while he tugged at the safety device, to ensure its security, and for a moment I thought I saw a glimmer steal a piece of his dark brown orbs. Satisfied, Elijah went to take over Eliana's vacant seat and within minutes the jet was accelerating down the runway.

"Look out the window, Mootie," I said, while starring out of it myself. No sooner than she raised her head, the takeoff sent it flying back against my chest. "Mommy," her arms found their way around my neck, clinging on for dear life. "That's just the jet lifting up from the ground, so that we can get to the sky, baby," I drew circles on her back, with the palm of my hand "it'll be over really soon, and then you can get up and watch Dora, or play with your dolls. Does that sound fun?" She nodded and held me tighter.

Mere seconds later, we were up in the air with steady aircraft movements. "See how fast that was," I peeked down at Eliana, "that wasn't so bad, was it?" She sat up, showcasing every tooth as she clapped, "I was big girl, mommy. It no scare me." Chuckling, I smoothed her baby hairs with the pad of my finger, "of course you weren't scared, you're mommy's bravest girl. Give me kiss kiss," poking my lips out, she pecked hers against mine.

"I like watching you with her," Elijah's baritone summoned my attention as he rose from the recliner. Taking a few steps, he hovered over us once more, this time, unfastening the seatbelt and taking Eliana into his arms. After grabbing a blanket and her cup of juice from his duffel bag, he carried her to the sofa, and made sure of her comfort while she watched Dora. Turning on his heels, his domineering stride advanced my way, his focus set on me. "Come here for a second," he motioned his head forward and continued with his route, until he disappeared into the private suite.