Chpater 2

Island

(Raiden's ear plates suddenly shoot up. He rpars, and his call is answered by a familiar screech. Y/n turns to see, Astrid rising into view, astride Stormfly. Stormfly grabs talon-fulls of rock to slow her landing)

Y/n: Afternoon sweetie. Where have you been?

(Astrid dismounts and throws back her fur hood as Raiden rushes up to greet them)

Astrid: Winning races. What else? The real question is... where have YOU been?

Y/n: Avoiding, dad.

Astrid: Oh, no. What happened?

(Astrid sits beside Y/n, inspecting his latest addition to the map. Behind them, Raiden greets Stormfly, inciting a play fight)

Y/n: Oh, you're gonna love this. I woke up. The sun's shining. Terrible Terrors are singing on our rooftop. After breakfast I saunter to fix some of my gear, thinking all is right with the world, and I get...

(He gets to his feet and puffs out his chest and imitates Stoick)

Y/n: ...Son, we need to talk.

(Astrid smiles and starts to imitate Y/n in a exaggerated way)

Astrid: Not now, Dad. I've got a whole day of goofing off to get started.

(Y/n breaks character, grimacing at her impression of him)

Y/n: Okay, first of all, I don't sound like that. What is this bizarre character? And second... what is that thing you're doing with the shoulders?

(Astrid laughs, jostling her shoulders in an awkward way)

Y/n: Truly a flattering impersonation. Anyway, he goes... You're one of the prides of Berk, son, and I couldn't be prouder...

Astrid: Aw, thanks, Dad. I'm pretty impressed with myself, too.

Y/n: When have I ever done that with my hands?

Astrid: You just did. You do it all the time, and I know.

(She laughs, playfully)

Y/n: Okay... just...

(Y/n holds her arms and looks at her playfully stern)

Y/n: Hold still. It's very serious.

(Astrid giggles, trying to hold a straight face and Y/n continues to imitate Stoick)

Y/n: You're fianlly all grown up, and since no chief could ask for a better successor, I've decided-

(Astrid straightens, her face brightening)

Astrid: -TO MAKE YOU CHIEF! Oh, my gods!

(She jumps to her feet, beaming...)

Astrid: Hun! That's amazing!

(And socks Y/n in congratulations, deliberately hitting the dorsal fin release button and triggering it to pop up. She laughs as Y/n reels it back in)

Y/n: You know you're gonna wear out the spring coil. The calibration is very sensitive!

(They're suddenly bowled over by Raiden and Stormfly)

Y/n: Yeah, so... this is what I'm dealing with this time.

(Astrid helps him up and dusts him off)

Astrid: What did you tell him?

Y/n: I didn't. By the time he turned around, I was already gone.

(Astrid picks up the map, folding it as she paces around him, processing it all)