Chapter 9

Berk - Cliff

(Y/n and Hiccup are still standing on the cliff. The ships have cleared the horizon. Y/n looks back and sees Astrid and Hilda standing behind them. Y/n steps back to Astrid and wraps his hand around her waist as Hilda approaches Hiccup cautiously and stands beside him in silence)

Hilda: It's a mess.

(Hiccup doesn't respond)

Hilda: You must feel horrible. You've lost almost everything. Your father, your tribe, your best friend.

Hiccup: Thank you for summing that up. Why couldn't I have killed that dragon when I found him in the woods. It would have been better for everyone.

Hilda: Yep. The rest of us would have done it. So why didn't you?

(Hiccup just shakes his head, he really doesn't know. Hilda's eyes glimmer. She wants something)

Hilda: Why didn't you?

Hiccup: I don't know. I couldn't.

Hilda: That's not an answer.

Hiccup: Why is this so important to you all of a sudden?

Hilda: Because I want to remember what you say right now.

Hiccup: Oh for the love of- I was a coward! I was weak. I wouldn't kill a dragon.

Hilda: You said 'wouldn't' that time.

Hiccup: Whatever! I wouldn't! Three hundred years and I'm one of the first Vikings who wouldn't kill a dragon!

Hilda: First to ride one, though.

Hiccup: It actually was Y/n and Astrid.

Hilda: That's not my point.

(Hiccup looks down and blinks a few times. Y/n and Astrid watch them proudly)

Hilda: So...

Hiccup: ...I wouldn't kill him because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him and I saw myself.

(Hilda turns to face the open sea)

Hilda: I bet he's really frightened now. What are you going to do about it?

Hiccup: Probably something stupid.

Hilda: Good. But you've already done that.

Hiccup: Then something crazy.

(Hilda smiles at him)

Hilda: That's more like it.

Y/n: Okay. Why don't you go and gather the other teens into the arena.

Astrid: We'll go and get, Raiden and Stormfly.

(Hiccup looks back at Y/n and Astrid with a smile)

Hiccup: How do you know my plan?

Y/n: I'm your older brother.

Sea

(The armada coasts toward a shroud of heavy fog, hung like drapes from a low-hanging, ominous sky. The ships enter, one by one. Visibility drops immediately. Flanking ships becomes ghosts. The armada disappears, drawn into the blinding mist.Complete whiteout. Nothing remains but the eerie creaking of wood on water. Stoick is at the bow of his ship. He taps his fingers on the gunwale, then looks back at Toothless impatiently. Weighed down with chains, Toothless seems unresponsive)

Stoick: Sound your positions. Stay within earshot.

(Shouts pour in from all directions)

Viking 1: Here.