Chapter Twenty

The next day, Ella was so engrossed in her thoughts on how she would approach the conversation with William regarding his generosity and their relationship status. Her musings were interrupted by a call from Mary, who wanted her to come over before she headed to the university.

Should Ella be more direct and tell him that she loved him? She had never said her feelings aloud to him. Nothing had stopped her. She had just thought they had time. It was before Wickham's ugly side had reared its head and landed her spoilt sister in trouble.

Kitty had texted last night to update Ella on what had transpired after she had left. Their mother had locked herself in her bedroom and taken dinner there. Kitty and their father had made lasagne to coax her out of sadness. Indeed, Ella's words had struck her deeply.

Guilt made her heart heavy, but Ella knew she had not meant to be harsh. Someone had to take a firm hand in the house, especially what Lydia had done. The petty gossip on the street had never bothered her. It was the lack of accountability in the Bennett household. Lydia had not even blushed at being outed as a thief.

As she started her Volkswagen, it sputtered and died down. With a groan, she smacked the wheel. "Come on. Don't give up on me. You have more mileage to go, buddy."

She turned the key in the ignition again. The engine coughed as the car jerked. "Shit."

As she turned the key the third time. An insolent flashy limousine stopped right before her, blocking her way.

Who in the right mind rented this monstrosity? She frowned.

In amazement, she watched as a chauffeur in uniform jumped out and rushed to open the rear door to let out Lady Catherine.

She did a double take. A titled woman from England in her neighbourhood. It didn't make sense.

Lady Catherine motioned her to get out of her beat-up vehicle.

Stunned by her abrupt appearance, she complied. "Lady Catherine, what are you doing here?" Darcy popped into her head. Was he alright? "Is everything okay?" she added.

"Don't act innocent, Ella. I know all about what has gone over here. My poor nephew had to talk to that Wickham because of your sister's shenanigans." The English woman's eyes flashed.

"You came here to tell me this," she said, puzzled. "Wait, how do you even know where I live?" Did Darcy tell this crow where her place was? It did not sound like him.

"I've my ways," she sniffed with a haughty air, glancing around. "I can't imagine how people live in such cramped houses."

"Why are you here?" Ella stiffened at the insult.

"Do you think that my nephew will ever choose you?" She let out a derisive laugh. "When the novelty wears off, he will settle down with the aristocratic girls or socialites. He is meant for more, and your scheming will fall flat."

"Scheming?" Ella cried. "I don't know what is going on, but let me assure you I don't scheme. And if I am not up to your nephew's standards, then you should introduce those who are." As she said this, her heart soared at the conviction that whatever Darcy felt for must be profound enough to persuade his aunt to chase her down here.

"Are you saying you two aren't dating?" Lady Catherine demanded.

"You should ask your nephew that instead of begging me to give you a scrap of information," she replied. Truth be told, even Ella had no clear answer to this question.

Things between Darcy and her had become murky lately. He had come down to Castle Corner, stayed in a hotel, and met with her uncle and sister but had yet to reach out to her. Ella had no idea if he had already left or not.