Grayson takes a few more steps toward me. "I feel like you're lying to me."

"Why is that?"

"Because you can't even look me in my eyes."

When I do find his eyes, they're dark and intense. It feels like he's digging deep into my soul with his gaze, unraveling me, and I don't like it.

"That's fine. You don't have to tell me the truth if you don't want to," he says, suddenly right in front of me. A part of me finds it hard to believe that it's fine because his facial expression is certainly telling me otherwise.

"I'm not lying to you. Why would I lie? I barely know you."

"Hm." I think that's a laugh but he doesn't smile, his jaw is set, and he has a look in his eyes that should send me running. I almost do, whimpering with my tail between my legs. "For your own good, I hope that's true."

"Are you threatening me?" I ask, incredulous.

"You can't threaten someone who's already afraid of you. You can merely string any words together and they'll have the same effect. Every time."

He walks away back towards the staircase. "You don't make any sense," I whisper to myself.

— — —

The locals are extreme partygoers in the summertime, and I've been invited to one tonight. My mom is still on my back about seeing my dad tomorrow before he leaves Friday.

Honestly? I don't want to. He hasn't even texted me or called me himself so why should I? He's probably hanging out and spending his last minutes with his new family.

"You ready?" Iris asks, peeking into my room.

I wipe my finger underneath my eye to brush away a speck of mascara. "Ready."

Her glistening tan skin is dressed in jean shorts, a halter top, and cowboy boots. I've always admired how well she tans in the summer. It must come from her mom, Caroline.

"Where's Ted tonight?" Iris laughs, her boot heels clicking as we make our way downstairs.

"Am I supposed to know who that is?"

"Layla, I love you, baby. Ted Bundy."

I almost come to a halt. "That's extremely fucked up."

She laughs some more and I can't seem to find the humor in her joke. "Okay, I'm sorry. Where's Grayson?"

"You should keep quiet. He likes to lurk."

"Oh." She bites her lip. "What a thrill."

I don't even realize I'm clenching my jaw until we make it outside.

"You know I'm only joking," she smirks.

"A part of me thinks you're not."

Iris cackles as Brett's jeep turns on and we walk across the lawn towards the car.

"How come Layla gets invited to parties and we don't?" Brett frowns at his sister.

"Have you seen her?"

I blush slightly, pushing Iris's head from the back seat.

"Well, Ty has been obsessed with her since freshman year," Brett adds, pulling out of the driveway. "He probably still is. He could be your date to the wedding."

I laugh. "I will not be bringing Ty Bennet to my mom's wedding."

"You can't fly solo, Brett and I agree on with that. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so we need to find you a boyfriend this summer."