Chapter 24 ~ Last Minute Confessions

I sat down in Dumbledore's office, staring at my brother, who had a sad look on his face just like me.

It was all coming together now and it took almost eighteen years to finally figure it out. Snape wasn't a bad guy. He was a good guy the entire time. Voldemort failed to kill us as a baby because of our mother. So now, a piece of Voldemort's soul split into two and they lived inside Harry and I. There was only one more thing to do now. I always knew the truth was a hard thing to tell someone. But this was way worse than anyone could imagine. Harry and I, The-Twins-Who-Lived, were about to do the unthinkable.

"Max, we have to die," Harry told me. "We have to turn ourselves in."

I nodded in agreement. "I know. It's the only way, right? Too many people have died for us already."

"I just can't believe a part of him has been inside of us this entire time and took us this long to figure it out."

I sighed and looked down at the floor, waving my hand across the cold surface. "I can't leave him. I can't leave Draco," I whispered to my brother.

"I know you don't want to," Harry replied, wrapping his arm over my shoulder. "But we have to. It's the only way to finally defeat him once and for all."

We sat there for another minute until we finally decided it was time to go face our fate. We went to go look for Ron and Hermione once we left the office. We found them sitting on the steps while holding hands and whispering to each other. They turned around when they heard us coming down the stairs. The two stood up and gave us a worried look.

"Where have you two been?" Hermione asked us.

"We thought you two went to the forest already," Ron said.

"We're going there now," I told them, walking past them, followed by Harry.

"Are you two mad? Don't go!" Ron protested. "You two can't give yourselves up to him!"

We stopped walking.

"What is it?" Hermione questioned. "What do you two know?"

We turned around, facing our best friends.

"There's a reason why we can hear the Horcruxes," Harry explained. "I think I've known for a while. I've kept it to myself, just so I could be sure..."

"What is it?" Hermione asked, tears forming in her eyes.

"Hermione, I think you've known for a while, too," he said.

Now she was crying, and that made me cry as well. "I'll go with you two!" she cried.

I shook my head. "No, Hermione. We want you to kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him."

Hermione went to Harry and pulled him in for a hug. While she was crying on his shoulder, I went up to Ron.

"You and Hermione are lucky that I haven't told Harry about you two yet," I said, making us both laugh.

"How the bloody hell can you make a joke at a time like this?" he said, wiping tears from his eyes.

I began to cry, too. I pulled Ron in for a hug. "I'm glad you're one of my best friends."

He pulled away, nodding his head in agreement. "Me, too."

We smiled at each other. Then I turned to Hermione, who was crying her eyes out.

"Oh, Hermione..." I stated, pulling her in for a hug as well.

"I can't believe you two are doing this," she said after she pulled away, sniffling and wiping her eyes.