Chapter 26 ~ The Final Battle

I felt someone pick me up after Harry and I were pronounced dead to Voldemort and the other Death Eaters. Our eyes were closed, so we had no idea where we were at. I wanted to open my eyes, but I knew that was a bad idea. I wasn't even sure what was going on right now. Were we going back to Hogwarts? Was Voldemort going to show everyone that we were dead? Well, we weren't really dead, but no one else knew that, except for Narcissa.

I moved my hand and immediately felt Harry's sweaty hand in mine. We were hanging over Hagrid's shoulders, rocking back and forth.

I was worried about how everyone would react once they saw us and thought we were dead. How would Hermione react? The Weasleys? Draco? Professors? Students?

"Harry and Maxine Potter are dead!" Voldemort announced.

"No! No!" Ginny shouted.

"Silence!" Voldemort shouted back. "Stupid girl. Harry and Maxine Potter are dead. From this day forth, you put your faith in me." He paused. "The Potters are dead!" The Death Eaters laughed at that, thinking it was funny. "Now is the time to declare yourself," Voldemort continued. "Come forward and join us. Or die."

There was a moment of silence.

Suddenly, I heard someone say, "Draco." It was Lucius Malfoy. "Draco."

"Draco," his mother spoke up. "Draco, come."

After another moment of silence, Voldemort spoke up. "Ah, well done, Draco. Well done."

I knew that he only joined his side for Narcissa's sake. She loved him so much and couldn't bear the thought of seeing him get hurt.

"Well, I must say that I had hoped for better," Voldemort said, making his Death Eaters laugh again. "And who might you be, young man?"

I was kind of surprised when I heard the words, "Neville Longbottom."

The Death Eaters roared with laughter once again.

"Well, Neville, I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks," Voldemort replied.

"I'd like to say something," Neville said really fast.

There was a pause, then Voldemort went on. "I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."

It was quiet for a moment. Then, Neville spoke up. "It doesn't matter that Harry and Max are gone."

"Stand down, Neville," Seamus told him.

"People die every day!" Neville shouted. "Friends, family...they all die. Yeah, we lost Harry and Max. But they're still with us. They're in our hearts. So is Fred, Remus, Tonks, all of them. They didn't die in vain." Neville paused for a moment, then continued. "But you will! Because you're wrong! Harry and Max's hearts did beat for us! For all of us! This is not over!"

That was when I opened my eyes a little bit and looked over at Harry. "Now?" I asked him in a whisper.

He did the same and nodded his head. "Now."

With that, we rolled off of Hagrid, which shocked many people. We took our wands out and looked at Nagini, shouting, "Confringo!" After that, Harry and I jumped over some bricks and ran over to Ron and Hermione.

"Max and I will lure him into the castle! We have to kill the snake!" Harry shouted at them.

"Here, you'll need this!" Hermione shouted back, handing Harry a Basilisk fang.

I looked back to see a shocked Draco. He gave me a small smile, which I returned the favor.

Finish this, he mouthed.