Chapter Eleven - Game On

Start from the beginning

Isla swiped through the list of pictures. Some of them showed Arturo as very young when his mother was killed. Not a kid, but not yet a man either. She did the math on the dates, which meant that Arturo actually wasn't a teenager when his mother was killed, but just barely twenty years old. Not much better. There was nothing better, actually.

Many showed a wide-eyed, shell-shocked teenager, still reeling from the fact that his mother was gone, and realizing that death was not something that anyone could come back from.

Especially with the terrible way she'd been murdered.

Isla's heart ached for him, for the younger Arturo in those pictures. She could even see Orlando in some of them, and his face was already youthful without showing him as a boy of thirteen or so. Silvio had been seventeen when it happened. Children weren't supposed to have their pictures taken, but someone had snapped these, and once something was put on the Internet, everyone knew it stayed there forever.

The press hadn't given the boys much mercy whenever they'd dared to go out in public.

Sebastian, the only blond, hadn't been in any of the pictures.

The pictures of Arturo as the trial went on showed someone much different than the scared, stunned young man from the other photos. In these, he was a man with his shoulders filled out, his back straight, and his dark eyes hard and fearless as he watched his father answer questions, and deny, what he'd done.

The earbuds in her ears were so roughly yanked out, that the lack of any music was more of a shock than anything else.

Except for Arturo's irritated voice that was right next to her. "Doing a little research, I see."

Isla damn near jumped right off the bed, and her iPad certainly went flying. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Arturo reached his hand up and effortlessly caught the flying tablet before it could crash onto the floor and break.

Isla's heart was racing too damned much for her to be overly impressed by that.

Arturo's dark eyes stared at her. He wasn't glaring at her. He didn't look remotely angry considering what he'd just caught her doing, but his expressionless face did still give off a cold chill that made her freeze in place on the bed.

That chill was made only about a thousand times worse when Arturo looked at the tablet screen, and started scrolling through what she'd just been reading. Then his eyes glanced back to her.

This time, he did look a tiny bit irritated as he tossed the tablet onto the bed. "Find everything you were looking for?"

Isla stared at the screen in front of her. The picture of Arturo, still looking dazed and confused, was in front of her now.

"I'm sorry, I just...It's public information."