Untitled Part 86

42

The next day at noon. The trial began. Elder Camarillo had appointed two sets of six jurors: one set of Elders, the other Shaman. The accused will be judged by their peers.

Our entire family sat together watching the proceedings.

The magistrate for the Senior Rileys and Caleb was into a lot of theatrics.

Shannon leaned over to Paddy. "He is going to try and wear everyone down with his antics."

The magistrate stood up and introduced himself to Elder Camarillo.

"Sir, I am Phineas Marlow. I am from the South Erie Clan."

"I know Phineas. I appointed you."

"Be as it may Sir. The rest of the community does not know who I am."

Elder Camarillo looked out into the audience. He had the look of a man wondering what he has gotten himself into with this man.

"Introduce yourself and make it short."

"Yes sir." Phineas stood up and faced the audience. "I am Phineas Marlow of the South Erie Clan. I have been a Magistrate for a thousand years and presided in many trials. But I have never seen Elders and a Shaman being charged with this kind of crime." He shook his head. "Thank you. You will hear more of me later." He sat.

Elder Camarillo looked to the other magistrate.

"Your turn."

"Thank you Sir. I am Felix Bayswater of the Northern Highland Clan. I have been a magistrate for a thousand years also. Phineas and I have opposed each other on a few occasions. Thank you Sir." He bowed to Elder Camarillo then took his seat.

"Thank you. Magistrates for making it short." They nodded to him. "Karen please read the charges."

"Yes sir." A woman of unquestionable beauty stood up. She read out the charges.

"Crispin Riley, Marisa Riley, Caleb Braddish. Please stand." They did.

"These three people who stand before you have been charged with assault on an Elder, a Millennialist, an Elite Guardsman and the death of two honourary Elite Guardsmen and stalking four Elite Guardsmen. They will be tried and if convicted. They will also stand trial with the Vampire Council. Sit down."

"Elizabeth Gladstone, Kylie Riley, Katey Messner. Please stand." We did.

"The harm that has been done to you will be punished. I promise you." He nodded with assurance.

The audience had gasped at each of our names. There was a low buzz of whispering behind us. "Thank you Ladies. Please sit back down."

"Now Magistrate Bayswater you have the floor."

The magistrate stood up. "Thank you Sir." He turned to address the sets of jurors. Who were sitting to the right of us.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Elders and Shamans I will present to you the facts of the case to you. The facts have been gathers by a multitude of people from around London. I will show you how these three people have connived to harm these Ladies."

"You will hear testimony from many eye witnesses of their behaviour."

"Rest assured Ladies and Gentlemen. These three people have not hidden their contempt for the vampire, Kylie Riley. Who is the Elder's grandson's Patrick's mate."

Paddy held my hand tightly.

The magistrate bowed to the jurors.

"Thank you."