Untitled Part 11

7

Athos and Anna joined us as we usually have six on the squad when we patrol.

Quinn bowed to Athos.

"Good day to you, Uncle Athos." Athos returned his bow. "And to you, Young Master Quinn." Quinn then bowed to Anna. "Good day to you, my fair Lady." Anna blushed. "Thank you, Quinn and a good day to you too, Master Quinn." Anna curtseyed.

I looked at Athos. He signed.

'What is this all about?'

'I do not know' I signed back.

Quinn laughed. "Walter was telling me some stories when he used to be at the Royal Castle and how people greeted each other. I thought I try it." He shrugged his shoulders, shyly.

"I enjoyed the greeting Quinn. It made me feel welcomed."

"Thank you Aunt Anna." Anna blushed again.

We started our patrol. We headed East then North around the outskirts of the city.

I sniffed. There had been a small fire nearby. I walked to it.

"What is it Kylie?" I walked around the small fire pit.

"Is this where Walter said there was activity?" Paddy nodded.

"Caleb had been here and with the Senior Rileys about two weeks ago."

"That was before we met them." Paddy said.

"Caleb must have told them about Cassie."

"It is a possibility Kylie." Paddy held my hand.

"Who is Caleb?" Quinn asked.

"A scary man. I do not like him." Cassie answered. Quinn growled in response.

"Why would Caleb and your grandparents be meeting out here?"

"Caleb still lives in one of the boarding houses. They could have met there."

"I do not know Kylie but we will find out. I do not like them meeting each other at all." I was staring at the fire pit. "Paddy there are bones in the ashes." Paddy bent down and examined the bones. "They are rabbit bones. They must have eaten together."

"Perhaps." I walked around the fire pit. It did not feel right. My family watched me as I circled the pit.

"What is wrong with Momma?"

"Something is bothering her and she has not figured it out yet."

"Is that why she is walking around in a circle?"

"Yes Quinn. Now let Momma think."

"Okay Cassie."

"How many rabbits can you eat in a sitting?" I looked up at Paddy.

"Two maybe three depending on how hungry I am." He smiled.

"You can eat two. Three shapeshifters and only one set of bones. They were not eating the rabbit. They were doing something else."

"Like what?" Paddy scanned the area then looked up. In one of the trees there was something hanging in it. We all looked up at it.

Paddy climbed the tree. He freed the object and let it fall to the ground. He jumped down after it. He picked it up. It was a fishing net with rats inside of it.

"What would rats being doing in the woods?"

"They are not rats Kylie. They are bats."

"Why would someone go through the trouble of catching bats when all you have to do is go into any of the caves around us?"