Untitled Part 25

"All right Paddy." Walter turned to his coworkers. "You heard the man. Let us get to it."

Each one had a corner of the crate. They just walked off the boat, down the plank and into the shallow water. They walked right by us. I could smell what was in the crate. It was not appealing to me. I stopped breathing until they were in the cavern away from me.

"That is everything Paddy." He checked his master sheet. "All right Brian, have the Captains dock their boats in the yard down river." He pointed towards the dockyards.

"Will do."

Paddy touched my cheek just as I started to breathe again. He noticed.

Paddy bent down to look me in the eye. He did not have to ask. 'The smell of the last crate.' I signed then waved my hand in front of my face. He nodded that he understood.

"Samuel would you like to join us for a meal in our quarters?"

"Yes I would." Samuel smiled.

We headed back into the cave. Quinn and Cory were coming out.

"Hello Paddy, Kylie, Cassie." Cassie gave her uncle a big hug. "Hello Uncle Cory."

"Hey Cassie."

"Hey Quinn." They punched each other in the shoulder. I could never understand their greeting.

"Cory. Quinn. It is good that you are back. I would like you to meet someone." Paddy had his hand on Samuel's shoulder. I was right they were the same height.

"Samuel, this is my brother Cory." They shook hands. "And this is our son, Quinn." They shook hands also. "This is Samuel. One of Wilbert's grandsons."

They all nodded.

"Come we are going to have something to eat."

We walked into the training square. I stopped breathing. The crate was in the middle of the square. Paddy glanced back at me. He signed. 'That bad.' I nodded.

The smell did not seem to bother anyone else. Gen, Colleen and Shaun followed us to our quarters. I started cooking right away. Just so I could get the smell out of my nose.

It was not long before we were sitting at the table. Telling the rest of the family about the visit to Wilbert's home, long ago. I realised we had not been back since then except to rescue Tessa and Gillian.

The last time any of us had seen Wilbert was when he wanted Scott's blood for crimes against the European covens.

"How is your grandfather Samuel? I do not think I have seen him yet." Cory asked innocently.

"He is very ill Cory. We do not know what is wrong with him?"

"Wilbert is ill?" Colleen asked shocked.

"Si Senora. I was telling you earlier that he fell asleep for a month. He lost all his memories. We had to introduce him to the entire family when he woke up. Even to Grandmother. He did not even remember her." He shook his head. "She cried for a long time."

"Samuel how long has he been like this?" Shaun asked.

"Ten years now, Senor."

"Do you know what he fed on last?"

"No Kylie. I do not. I was out on an errand when it happened."

We sat in silence for a few minutes.

"There is nothing that can hurt a vampire?"

"I am not so sure Samuel. Awhile ago we did not know there was something to stop werewolves from transforming but there is." I told him.

"There is?" Samuel was surprised. "Yes. Samuel there is. It was quite upsetting to the werewolves."

"I am sure it was. Do you think Grandfather took something to make him this way?" Samuel said curiously.

"It is possible Samuel but what does Wilbert drink other than human blood?" I asked.

Samuel shook his head. "I do not know." Samuel stood up. "I thank you for the delicious meal Kylie but I must go help Grandmother. I will also ask her if she knows of anything he might have consumed."

"All right Samuel." We were very busy with all the extra people in the cavern.

Paddy and I stayed behind to clean up.

"Do you think it was something that Wilbert had eaten?" Paddy asked me.

"It sounds very odd that he would suddenly fall asleep. It just reminds me of when the werewolves could not transform. They did not know why either."

"Yes I remember you telling me about that. It had to do with something they had eaten." I nodded.

We were done in the kitchen. I went to change for my patrol. Paddy held me tight.

"I could not stand it if you lost your memory."

"It is one of the reasons I want to know what happen to Wilbert. If it is something he ate then it could happen to any of us."

"We are going on patrol with Anna. We will ask her."

"Good idea." I said.

We hurried to meet up with her.