Nine

The Red Temple was one of the Architects' standout pieces, permanently 'designed' more than three kilometres below the earth, relying on a complex series of runes and magic to keep it in place. The arches and pillars that supported it served as anchors, each one capable of reducing several thousand kilos of weight to instant zero mass. It was a multi-tiered house of splendour, with waterfalls that cascaded from one splendid level to the next, pooling into small garden lakes that glittered and twinkled beneath artificial moonlight.

It was a feast for the senses, and Azrael smiled to herself as she heard Adira's sharp intake of breath when they stepped through the doorway.

The gardens below them were filled with light and festivity. Thousands of lanterns had been lit, marking out pathways through the forests and illuminating the borders of artificial lakes and springs that flowed through the grassy areas. Azrael and Adira stood on the threshold of a courtyard hemmed in by high temple walls.

Two men walked around a centrepiece fountain; their uniform and weapons identifying them as ground security, though their aloof demeanour suggested to Azrael that their role was more decorative than functional. Azrael silently crossed the courtyard, the men unaware of her presence until the last moment.

She snapped her fingers and the men jumped back in terror, and then seeing who she was, fell at once to their hands and knees.

"Get to your feet," Azrael laughed. "I do not need your courtesies. Take me to your mistress."

One of them leapt to his feet, and they followed him along scented garden paths, fountains spurting blue-green arcs of water into the perfumed air. Everywhere Azrael looked, she saw beautiful stone effigies staring back at her, each statue a variation of the same mortal youth. The stonework was rendered in loving detail, lending the subject an almost lifelike vitality. She snuck a glance to Adira beside her, whose eyes were on the guard in front of them. Like all of Venus' male attendants, he was lean and infused with the glow of youth, his bone structure prominent; his eyes deep set, giving his face the look of some romantic hero from a movie.

Azrael's senses pierced the darkness behind the veils that surrounded the temple, noting the hidden Watchers keeping an eye on her, their glinting weapons tracking her progress from six different points in the shadows. They were Seraphim too, so they must have known she was as wary of them as they were of her. They were no threat to her and so long as they kept their distance, she posed no threat to them either.

Azrael recognised several of the beings here. Venus' parties always drew in the most random mix of supernaturals, with almost of one each kind being present in one form or another. As Azrael continued her approach all heads swivelled in her direction. A ripple of fear spreads outwards, starting with those nearest her and swiftly encompassing the whole garden.

Adira took the opportunity to move closer to her, as though basking in the fear she generated, which wasn't a bad idea. Azrael's aura shielded her thoughts and emotions from those around her, and as Adira stood closer, she extended that protection to the younger woman.

"They seem to know who you are," Adira pointed out.

"It's more of them knowing what I represent," Azrael replied as the other guests parted for them, eyes clouded with justifiable concerns, and some outright staring at her with open hostility. "In the end, they know death comes for all. Immortality is a myth."

"Where is Venus?" Azrael asked their guide.

"She will be here soon, goddess," the guard assured her.

Adira raised an eyebrow. "So this is what you meant when you said some call you gods? It seems to me that you're something more than that."

"It's complicated." Azrael replied curtly. "We have a guest."

Anaki approached Azrael, flowers blooming and withering amongst her thick plaits. She had an aroma of monsoons and green growing things about her, and her aura was green and clear as crystal. Azrael could feel its natural power, like prickly heat against her flesh, giving a sense of being gently doused in mystical earth energies.

The African seraph offered her a ceremonious bow, just enough to acknowledge Azrael as an equal, but not enough to suggest familiarity.

"Sister," she spoke in their language. "We rarely get to meet, but word of your visits is ever on the wind."

"I have seen you from afar," Azrael's reply was wrapped in the poetic language of Divinity. She had not spoken it in a long time, but it came naturally to her. "A while back I visited one of your garden temples. Saying it was beautiful would be an understatement."

"Thank you," Anaki said warmly. "I do hope we get to speak more in the time to come. Our winged guardians seem to be quite invested in keeping an eye on you today."

She was aware of one of the Watchers 'watching' her from a high dark edge of the garden. These seraphim were tall seven-foot harbingers of death, chrome armoured with massive steel wings folded behind them. Those wings cut the thread of life almost as easily as Azrael's dagger.

"Certainly," Azrael told Anaki, bearing the seraph's warning in mind though she deemed it unnecessary. She had no intention of letting her guard down, especially not in a place like this.

"And who is your lovely companion?" Anaki questioned, turning her smile on Adira.

Observing a protocol she had picked up from the interactions of the supernaturals around her, Adira walked up to Anaki and bowed low before her in deference to her status amongst the others here. As Adira bowed, Azrael sensed a mixture of amusement and curiosity in the other seraph.

Anika touched Adira affectionately on the side of her face, and then there was a furtive glance towards Azrael which she returned with an impassive expression. Anika looked back down at Adira, confused for a moment, before stepping back.

"You are a curious one, but you have my blessing. I know this one will protect you well, but my garden doors are always open if you require anything."

The seraph bowed and retreated into the surrounding crowds.

"What was that about?" Adira asked.

"I presume she saw something in your aura when she touched your face," Azrael answered casually. "Either way, it is not bad to have an ally of her nature."

"At least I got a blessing out of it," Adira mused.

Azrael turned to her. "You understood her words?"

"Yes and no?"

Azrael considered her words before speaking. "The Divine Tongue tends to be understood by anyone it's directed to. But even then mortal ears aren't made to listen for it."

"Maybe it's the same as you said with reading the cards?"

"Perhaps."

"The goddess will meet with you," the guard beside them said softly. "But she asks that you speak with her in private first."

Azrael's eyes narrowed and she opened her mouth to speak, but Adira held her hand, stopping her protest. "I'll be fine. Go."

Azrael slid one glance to the Watcher above and then followed the guard.