Four

It took Adira the time to make their way down the stairs for the question to tumble out of her mouth.

"Is this woman someone you know?"

"She's the one who destroyed your lobby."

Adira made a sharp sound as she surveyed the damage. All that was left of the desk at the door was a pile of smoking splinters, there was a huge holr burned into the floor, and the carpet was covered in blood.

Blood.

Blake's blood.

Adira stayed silent as Azrael took the body out back and burned it, with a simple spell that she had learned that summoned hell fire, specifically designed to be used post-mortem.

Gina's body was missing, which she attributed to the elf.

"Did he have any family?" Azrael asked as she knelt beside the smouldering pile of ashes.

"He was new," Adira replied, awkwardly getting to her knees beside Azrael. 

"What is this for?" Adira asked, curious.

"Honoring the dead and helping them find their way beyond this world."

"Can I also do it?"

Azrael nodded, granting permission. "By tracing three columns of their ashes across your forehead, you acknowledge the cycle of life, death, and the afterlife. It serves as a spiritual connection, linking you to their essence."

Following Azrael's guidance, Adira hesitantly dipped her fingers into the ashes. At first, a flicker of fear crossed her face when she touched them, but Azrael assured her, "The ashes are hot, but they won't harm what is alive."

Adira traced the ashes across her forehead, mirroring Azrael's actions.

Azrael continued her explanation, her voice as soft as possible. "In gathering their ashes, you embrace the fragments of their existence and preserve their memory within you. You may choose to offer a prayer or observe a moment of silence, whichever resonates with you."

Adira instinctively followed, and with the utmost care, she cupped both hands, cradling a portion of the ashes, while her lips formed a whispered prayer. 

"And then," Azrael concluded, "you release the ashes into the sky, symbolizing a surrender, granting the spirit peace beyond the limitations of mortality."

Together, they exhaled a gentle breath, releasing the ashes into the air. A soft breeze materialized, cradling the ashes and carrying them into the dark expanse of the night sky.

Azrael helped Adira to her feet.

"That was...thoughtful," Adira said. "You didn't even know him."

"My kind live extensively long lives," Azrael explained. "Due to the nature of our magic, we have a connection to death that makes some even call us gods. But I've always believed that a deity lacking reverence for life should not wield authority over death."

"But, he knew me. Knowing my father, he would have had him picked out personally. Why would he try to kill me?"

"Right now? I do not know that," Azrael said as they went back up the top of the stairs.

"I need to freshen up."

"You can use my bathroom," Adira offered.

Azrael unlocked the door to Adira's room and stepped in, inhaling deeply as she took in the fresh air. The bed was large and padded, with soft white sheets and a plush duvet. Pillows were arranged against the wooden headboard, which was carved with intricate floral designs. A thick wool rug in earthy tones covered most of the polished hardwood floor.