Chapter 36

Within the confines of the Assistant Principal's Office, the sounds of books being swept and falling on the crackling fire below can be heard. An old man in a mask and cloak is seen doing that without a care on his surroundings.

He only stops when the sounds of footsteps reaches his ears. He calmly turns around before the door is slammed open. Revealing the forms of Claire and Sherry who are panting softly as they rushed to this place.

"Your plans ends here!" Claire, recognizing that this is the leader, quickly lunges at the man without saying anything else.

This man is the cause of her friend's death. She will avenge her and find closure to this feeling of regret in her heart.

Though she was simply repelled, and kicked away from him. Slamming into the wall with a gasps before she crumpled on the floor.

"Claire!?"

Sherry gasps as she tries reach her hand out, before turning her head and then covering her face with her arms. It didn't matter as she was kicked in the stomach.

"Hmph..." The muffled grunt of the man can be heard beneath the mask, as he turns to the prone form of the black haired girl.

He raises his sword, intent on finishing her off when Claire suddenly opens her eyes. A violet glow replaces her crimson gaze as she stood up almost quickly that it causes the old man to gasps in surprise. Her following upward slash makes him take a step back, before parrying her following strikes and then slamming her away to the other side of the room.

A crack was heard, before his mask fell over. Revealing a surprising appearance beneath it.

"Oho... that was surprising. You managed to hide that potential within you, Claire Kagenou." Lutheran said. The usual good natured expression he has only looking sinister as he casually says that.

Claire is surprised, but moreso the other person who entered the room once more carrying a sword now.

"... Foster Father...?"

Sherry can't believe it. The person in front of her is the foster father who she looks up to. Lutheran Barnett.

"I got caught huh..." He simply mutters before turning to Sherry. "Yes, Sherry. I'm the one who instigated this whole event. Are you surprised?" A grin is slowly creeping into his face as he says that.

"... Why?" She furrowed her brows as she takes a step back. Her heart looking for revenge becoming confused at this development.

"Do you still remember about your mother, Lukreia? She is a great researcher... the greatest one I have met if I do say so myself. Like you, she loves researching about the ancient civilization, and the artifacts that came with it. Since the day I saw her, I already knew she can help me achieve my own goals...!"

"Fortunately, she is lacking funds for her research. I can easily take care of that. Give her everything so she can continue on her endeavors. In exchange, she can find the one thing I needed at all. She delivers, and she manages to finish her research on one of the artifacts... that's right, it's this one."

He showed the pendant to her. The pendant having another additional one which is a ping pong shaped gem embedded on it.

"The Eye of Avarice...?" Sherry muttered, dumbfounded.