Chapter 4

Lord Verimli's estate lay a day's journey away, at the rim of the Heartswood, the great forest that covered the plains as they rose to become the foothills of the mountains. There was a small village nearby. At the tavern, Kole learned that the nobleman, being of foul temper, found it difficult to keep servants. Thus it was that, being well-used to masters of ill-temper, Kole presented himself at the estate, seeking work.

The head of the nobleman's household was a large, ponderous lady, ample of bosom and girth, who looked him up and down as he stood on the kitchen step

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

The head of the nobleman's household was a large, ponderous lady, ample of bosom and girth, who looked him up and down as he stood on the kitchen step.

"Blackamoor, are ye? Outlander? Foreigner?" she asked.

Kole nodded. "Yes, Madam."

"Do ye work hard?"

He nodded again. "I do, Madam."

The woman frowned. "What do ye eat? I've never cooked for a Blackamoor. Is it wild beasts yer people consume? Crows? Frogs?"

Kole shrugged. "Same as all poor folk, Madam. We Moors are no different. I'll eat whatever you give me." He dropped his head. "I'll do anything for some work. Whatever you require. I haven't eaten for two days."

The woman had snorted. "Madam! First time anyone's called me that, let alone a Moor. But at least ye have manners, not like some who live under this roof. And do hardly any work." She looked Kole up and down. "Very well. I shall try ye for a week. I'll feed ye but ye'll get no pay. That will have to wait till the Master gets back." Kole looked up. "He's a Lord, you know. A Very Important Man. He's away. In the capital. At court." 

Kole looked suitably awed. The woman's demeanour softened. 

"And you can call me Mistress. Bertha's my name but Mistress is what you'll call me."

Kole worked hard. He did not quibble at the tasks Mistress Bertha set him and his lot rose in her eyes, but of treasure, he learned nothing. He was not allowed inside the house, except at mealtimes, when the servants all ate together in the kitchen. The other servants barely said a word to him, and Bertha herself was tight-lipped about what was in the rooms upstairs.

"Never you mind about all that," Bertha had said, ladling out his evening meal of soup and bread. "The Master's affairs are none of your concern. Eat your soup. Then wash out the pots." The other servants had sniggered and nudged each other.

" The other servants had sniggered and nudged each other

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
Rapunzel: Retold (Book 1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें