Chapter 18: Talented

Chapter 18

 Talented

Opening day.

I thought to myself. The sun was barely up, causing thin slits of golden light to spill across my bedspread. There was no possible way I could lay in bed, so I got up. My knees were shaking and my mouth was parched.

Six hours until I have to be at the restaurant.

I looked at the clock.

Another walk with Messy and a shower later, I was ringing the doorbell. My insides shaking with anticipation. Bartholomew answered the door. "Are you ready?" He said with a wink.

I gulped and nodded, the ability to speak escaping me. I could feel the blood drain from my head at his words as bile worked its way into my throat.

He laughed. "Follow me. I'll lead to the lady's dressing room."

I followed without comment. Seeing him here and in such a good mood made me want to make sure I did my best tonight.

"Here we are. Shanta is inside along with Cassie. You remember Cassie?"

"How could I forget?" I asked out loud, not really meaning to let it slip.

"She is kind of unforgettable." He allowed. Relief washed over me he didn't catch my intonation.

I wasn't really sure I was ready to work with Cassie again. Unfortunately, I didn't think I had any other option.

At least Shanta will be there.

Surely Cassie won't dare if Shanta is there the whole time.

A loud creak announced my presence. "Here ladies. Get her ready." Bartholomew said without looking in.

The girls smiled at me as I entered. My eyes went straight to Cassie. She wasn't trembling yet, but she had a little white bottle in her hands.

I hope she has a supply of those.

"We're going to warm up while Cassie works with your hair."

"Ok."

Shanta and I started through our arpeggios while Cassie pulled a wide toothed comb through remoistened hair. Tugs- some gentle and others rather rough- pulls, and grabs constantly racked my scalp. When Cassie started the hair dryer, Shanta grabbed a bottle of water for me. I wasn't sure what Cassie was doing, but I kept quiet, and worked on my warm ups. I tried to channel all of my negative, nervous energy into making sure I was well prepared.

Soon, Cassie told me to look in the mirror. My hair straightened and pulled up into a high bun on the crown of my head. Loose, feathery strands hung all around my face, forming the perfect frame. Shanta made me hum through songs as Cassie applied a full make up. I tried to steal glances in the mirror, now curious as to how I looked. I couldn't get so much as I glance in, Cassie always blocked my view.

Shanta pulled the dress off the hanger and handed it to Cassie. In between swigs from the white jug, Cassie assisted me stepping into the luxuriously red satin. After being zipped up on the side, Cassie instructed to me to sit back in the chair. She motioned to Shanta for a pair of red satin stilettos.

I'm supposed to wear THOSE?

The shoes were three inches high and had very tiny heels. They were supremely feminine with a strap to encircle the ankle, a strap down the back of the heel, and single thin strap across the toes. Cassie took a minute to give me a quick pedicure, putting a thin, clear gloss on my nails. When I stood up and looked in the full-length mirror, I gawked at the reflection.