Chapter 2: One Bad Day

Calculus came and went, rather uneventfully.

Lunchtime.

Finally.

"Hey beautiful." Chimed Randy.

"Hey Randy. How are you?"

"Better now," he said with a wink. "This morning was a drag." I smiled. Randy is my best guy-friend. Its impossible to feel bad about yourself around him. I know, I've tried.

Randy and I were discussing the Passing party when Madds walked up.

"Afternoon, Madds!" Randy said with a little over-excitement.

"Hey Randy!" She returned his jubilation. "What are you two talking about?"

"A Passing party at my place."

I heard him say as I excused myself.

Spaghetti.

Ick.

The only thing in this joint more scary than the meatloaf in this joint is the spaghetti. Its rumored that they crumble up the meatloaf to make the sauce. Considering we have meatloaf followed by spaghetti every time, I would say this is a viable option.

Salad it is.

Hey, its not brown today. Win.

Salad and...

I browsed through the poor selection of a la carte food.

Ugh.

Nothing.

Pre-packaged, over-processed crap.

So... salad, peanut butter crackers, and bottled water it is.

Lets hear it for a snack when I get home.

As I was crossing the lunch room, I glanced over at the table Samuel typically sat at. He was laughing with his buddies.

I'll bet he's telling them about me... and why not?

I was an idiot.

I can just picture what they're saying.

"hrr, hrr, hrr... she just fell right over."

"haha, way to go man. Good job, knock over the reject."

Seriously, why me?

I plopped down in my seat, causing the metal chair legs to squeak against the old linoleum floor.

"Ow." I said quietly to myself. My butt hit the chair a little harder than I expected.

Unfortunately, Randy never misses a beat. "Well, next time sit instead of fall."

"Thanks, man. Maybe they should put directions on the seat, so bubble-heads like me never forget how to sit in a chair." I said with dripping sarcasm.

"Okay, just next time don't hurt the chair. They're fragile you know."

"Only because they are as old as the sun."

Randy and Madds laughed.

"What's up kid? You seem a little off." Randy inquired through giggle spurts.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm just frustrated with myself."

"Why are you frustrated with yourself?"

"Why are you being so nosey?" Normally I wasn't such a horse's patoot, but I didn't want to make my blunder any more public than it already was.