XIV

The elevator opened on the first floor to a row of police officers and firefighters in their dress uniforms. A smiling official escort. The whole thing was way out of proportion. We entered the huge ballroom to a round of applause. Jennie took it stoically; I cringed. She turned to me, smiled and mouthed "thank you." The place was packed. Every table was full and many were standing along the walls. There were three buffet lines and we walked along the one in the center, towards the stage. I saw Park Myungsoo looking good in his suit with his wife beside him. I felt ridiculous, but I stepped over to him as we passed and shook his hand. He had done a lot and at least my thanks were in order.

"This is my wife, Veronica," Myungsoo introduced his overly excited red-haired wife. I still didn't understand what women expected from my unexpected fame. More than I obviously knew how to deliver.

"It's wonderful to meet you," I said holding out my hand. Veronica laughed and wrapped her arms around me and kissed my cheek. A cheer arose and suddenly I had to shake everyone's hand all the way to the stage. I also had to endure a few more kisses. I was beet red when I arrived at the stage. Jennie stood waiting, obviously enjoying my embarrassment.

I went to stand next to Jennie, just to the right of the podium. I turned to see a sea of people, all out of their chairs. The police officers and firefighters made up half the attendees. In the middle, off to the left, there were two tables filled with my ex-coworkers and boss, Yang Hyunsuk. Some of them waving. Out of habit, I waved back. There were more cheers and I thought 'screw it' and waved to everyone. Up front, I noticed the Leach with his cameraman filming it all. My smile felt fake, it was hard to leave it on my face. I would never make a good politician.

I saw the mayor make his way onto the stage. His smile looked real as he approached Jennie and me. He shook my hand with his other on my shoulder like we were best friends. I was being used, but it was worth it if it helped the City Kitchen. He moved over to Jennie and kind of pulled her closer to me when he shook her hand.

"I understand Scooter Braun is causing you some grief," the mayor said just loud enough for only the two of us to hear, "let's see if we can put an end to that." He winked at us. Both Jennie and I lit up with large, honest grins. I am sure it played well for the camera and made the mayor look good. I had no problem paying the price. Jennie just loved the support. The mayor took the podium.

"It looks like half the city is here," the mayor yelled when he reached the microphone. The crowd cheered and the applause continued until the mayor asked it to stop with his hands. "Do you know what makes this city great?" He paused for effect, then answered his own question while pointing at Jennie, "it's people like Jennie Kim. The City Kitchen provides a safety net for all those wonderful souls who fall through the cracks of our great society. She doesn't do it with tax dollars or by demanding concessions. She's there every day unselfishly giving of herself with one mission in mind." The mayor dramatically cast his eyes across the crowd. He was a speaker and damn good at it. "No one leaves the City Kitchen hungry!" he said it with gusto and pounded his fist on podium. The crowd ate it up. The applause was deafening and Jennie looked awfully cute with red cheeks. I didn't need to fake my smile any more. I was proud standing next to her.

"Our proud police officers and firefighters know this. I see most of them right here." The mayor cast his arm across the crowd to more hefty applause. "I see it in all your eyes as you open your wallets to support the City Kitchen. I am proud to be among you, to call you fellow citizens. I want you to know my office and I stand with you. As long as I am mayor, the institution Jennie Kim and her late husband created will stand strong right where it is. No one will interfere with the support it provides." The crowd went nuts again. I am not sure how many in the crowd knew what was going on, but the mayor just shut down Scooter Braun, on the record.