VIII

Jennie took back the reins on the fourth day. She smiled at the obvious relief on my face. I confessed it all, the problems, the botched menus and the overall mismanagement. She walked around inspecting the kitchen as I explained the problems that still needed solving. She ended in front of me as I explained about the lettuce I had to throw out because I didn't use it in time.

"Did anyone leave hungry?" Jennie asked calmly.

"Well no, but..." Jennie didn't let me finish. She went up on toes and kissed my forehead.

"Thank you, Jisoo. You did wonderfully." Jennie's smile burst through my misgivings. I let out the breath I was holding and stopped the tirade of my failures.

"I'm glad you're back," I admitted as I handed her the keys. It felt really good to put the place back on her shoulders. She was even stronger than I had given her credit for. The kiss was a little disturbing. I could still feel the impression her soft lips left. I was happy when she sent me to reset the tables for the day. Back to simple, completable tasks.

Three days later the IRS invaded. A black-suited field agent with two similarly-suited accountants descended on Jennie's books. It was a witch hunt. Normally, an auditor would look at significant transactions and a random sampling of others. These three did as I had done and checked every transaction and journal entry. Each, and every, bank statement for the last three years was scrutinized. The questions were insulting and bordered on acquisitions. My ire was already sky high when the audit came to a close.

"We will assemble our findings and you will be notified within two weeks of the results," the head field agent said. His name was Jee Seokjin and sported an obvious toupee. I could see the frustration on his face. I suspected he wanted to find glaring problems.

"You don't foresee any issues, do you?" I asked, thinking I already knew the answer.

"We will make a formal response only." Seokjin's face was not friendly as he packed up his note pad and calculator. My anger was growing. The IRS was always a pain, but usually polite.

"You must have some idea," I added with my hands on my hips. He looked at me from head to toe, then at Jennie with more than a bit of disdain.

"I recommend you secure proper guidance." He closed his briefcase and started walking out. It was all I could do not to take a swing at the asshole. His words told me they intended to find problems. I couldn't imagine it would get anywhere in the long run, but they were going to pull Jennie through the ringer.

"What are they going to do?" Jennie asked. I saw fear in her eyes.

"I'm not sure, but it won't be good." I didn't have the heart to lie to her. "In the long run, nothing will come of it. I'm just not sure how long the long run is." Jennie looked ill. She seemed to be taking it as a personal failure.

"We'll get through this." I thought the words would be comforting. Jennie found them shocking.

"We?!" It was the first time I had heard Jennie raise her voice. "There is no 'we.' It's me they are attacking. You're just some random woman who dropped out. You risk nothing and then walk away clean." She raised a hand to shoo me away and returned to the kitchen. She returned to work, making sure not to look my way. It was time I left. I just didn't know where to go.

I left as quietly as I could, unseen. Jennie was right, I could just walk away. I walked for the rest of the evening, my stomach churning with bile. I thought I saw friendship in Jennie, I thought I could help. I had done nothing but raise her hopes, only to watch them get flung from a bridge

That night was cold. The seasons were changing and I wasn't ready. I huddled sleeplessly in a warehouse doorway, trying to avoid the wind. I closed my eyes and tried to see Soojoo, build her face in my mind. I saw only Jennie, hating me. I shivered with my knees tucked tightly to my chest. I wanted my wallet, keys and phone back. I wanted Soojoo and my life back. The shaking increased, memories of my first wet day under the bridge. The cement I was sitting on did me no favors. I nodded in and out.