III

"It's almost four," Lisa said absently, "kitchen will open soon. Jennie said I could bring you back something 'til you feel better. She won't do it for long so you got to get better."

"Jennie?" I asked.

"She runs the kitchen," Lisa said incredulously, "don't you know anything? You're lucky I found you." She was shaking her head as she headed off beyond the bridge supports. She acted like the whole world knew about the kitchen.

I lay on the cardboard mattress feeling physically better than when I woke. I closed my eyes and saw my flawed vision of Soojoo. "I miss you baby," I whispered. The vision didn't improve. I had already lost perfection and I knew it would only fade more over time. My grief returned and I wished Lisa hadn't left. I needed her simplicity, as strange as it was.

Lisa returned as the sun began to set. I wasn't sure how much time had passed because my watch was at the bottom of the river. It was kind of nice not caring what time it is. I have spent my whole life watching a clock. All that happened was time ran out for Soojoo and me. Now time could just suck itself.

"I got you some fried chicken and a cup of jello," Lisa said as she handed me a chicken balled up in a napkin and a paper cup filled with red jello. Strangely, it seemed like a feast. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until I smelled the cold chicken. There was a leg and half a breast that had been cut with a knife.

"Got to eat out here," Lisa pointed to the cement. "Don't want critters inside." More homeless wisdom. I crawled out and sat up slowly. I was starting to figure out how to move with the least amount of pain. The lower left side of my back felt like it had been hit with a sledge hammer. If I kept myself tucked a little to the left, I could withstand more movement.

"Thanks, Lisa," I said sincerely, "I owe you." she smiled and nodded. I was getting the hang of this favor thing. Just acknowledge the debt and pay it back in kind in the future. If only the rest of life were that simple. I dug into the chicken and it disappeared quickly. It was actually pretty good as fried chicken goes. Even cold, the seasonings partied with my tongue in a snappy way. I was kind of wishing there was more. I emptied the cup full of red jello cubes into my mouth and enjoyed the brief sweetness. I stuffed the napkin into the cup and looked around for a waste can or something. Lisa laughed and grabbed the cup out of my hand, walked down to the river and threw it in. Pollution was obviously not part of her ethos.

It was a week until I could stand and walk properly. Lisa said I had one hell of a bruise on my back. I guess I was lucky, or unlucky depending on your point of view. I was certainly happy I didn't have to crawl down to the river to relieve myself anymore.

Lisa and I became good friends. I liked her better than anyone else I knew. I liked her philosophy. There was no way I was going back to my old life, not without Soojoo in it. Jumping off a bridge didn't appeal to me any more either. I was losing weight, something I always wanted to do. I couldn't care less what time it is and there was absolutely no stress. My home, job, car and old friends would do nothing, but remind me of what I had lost. A week ago, I would have never guessed I could live without all my stuff. Now, I couldn't care less how full my DVR was or whether I had checked my email. I was dropping out and going off the grid.

Lisa was a brilliant teacher. She had been on the streets for over six years. She dropped out when she lost her factory job. She couldn't find another even close to what she had been earning, so she hit the streets. For her, it worked. She really didn't care how the world turned and had no desire for the finer things in life. I wasn't sure how long I could hack it, but, after a week under a bridge, I was feeling pretty free. I didn't have any obligations to clutter my time. Grief would visit, but never stay long. There was nothing under the bridge to remind me of Soojoo except my own thoughts.