XI

For the third time that day, I explained what had happened. Leach was taking copious notes as I spoke, and asking questions to clarify what I said. Myungsoo seemed proud of himself for putting us together. He excused himself to get my wallet.

"So you want me to let everyone know you will be at the banquet. That's it?" Leach asked.

"Yep and I would prefer they don't know where to find me prior to the banquet," I responded.

"You'll talk to no other reporters?" Leach was bursting at the seams. Myungsoo returned with a plastic bag containing my wallet and some kind of form.

"No one but you," I agreed, "at least until you get a chance to print the story." Jaesuk smiled and rubbed his hands together.

"After all this time, why are you coming out now?" Jaesuk asked. I thought I just explained it all to him.

"I just told you, to help Jennie and the City Kitchen," I said, obviously frustrated.

"You don't owe them anything, why would you risk it?" Jaesuk was pushing me. I had no idea why, but I was starting to get pissed.

"Look, I promised her I would help. So I'm helping." This time I made it sound final. Jaesuk's pen went into hyperdrive.

"You just can't make this stuff up," Jaesuk said absently, "another promise." Myungsoo laughed and I sighed. Jaesuk was going to blow it out of proportion. The banquet needed it so I let it go. "Is it okay for me to bring a cameraman to the banquet?"

"I thought you were newspaper," I replied.

"Freelance. With this story I'll be a media superstar." Jaesuk celebrated with his hands in the air.

"Okay, but keep it low-key. I don't want this to be circus." he laughed at my remark.

"Too late for that. I'll just try to make sure you don't look too clownish." Jaesuk was cleaning up his notebook as he spoke. "I'll need another interview the day after the banquet. It shouldn't take more than thirty minutes or so." I nodded my head. "I have to get this out if I am going to make the paper tomorrow. I won't leak your location, but some will guess it. I would stay hidden if I were you." He shook my hand and scurried off.

"You've been 'Leached,'" Myungsoo said sarcastically. He pushed over a form for me to sign. It allowed me to get my wallet back. "You know it's going to be a madhouse, right?"

"If that's what it takes, so be it." I signed my name and retrieved my wallet. "I have to break into my condo, think I will get arrested?"

"Come on, I'll drive you." Myungsoo laughed as he grabbed his jacket.

It was strange being back in my home. It was comforting and alien at the same time. Everything reminded me of Soojoo, not as strongly as before, but just as depressing. It was hardest in the closet, where her clothes collided into mine. My section kept getting smaller over the years. Fond memories of joking with her about being a pack rat burned through my thoughts. I couldn't live here anymore. Even if I would pack away everything of hers, the walls would still bleed her passing. It was just too much love to lose.

My pants were too big in the waist and I had to drop two notches on my belt. I had lost a lot of weight since I jumped off that bridge. I looked in the mirror and couldn't tell whether it was a good loss or an unhealthy one. I wondered if my eyebrows hid an emaciated visage or a strong look. I wouldn't trim it today, I would save that for the banquet. I packed some toiletries and filled a suitcase with more clothes. I was done living like a beggar.

I put together a new set of keys from my spares and grabbed my warm jacket out of the closet. It was sitting next to Soojoo's parka. A person could survive the North Pole in that parka. Soojoo hated the cold, and loved how the parka would shield her against it. I always thought it was overkill. I grabbed it and brought it with me. No need to let it rot on a hanger. It was time to start letting the past go.