"The annulment? Is it that? You knew all this while that you were going to have me sent at a certain point? You had it planned had you not? And your mistress she would be the new lady of Cornsdof."

"That was just a rumor."

"A rumor nothing more, nothing less were the same words you told me and yet they are rumors that were started when you decided your infidelity was more important than your wife!"

"Damn it Emilia, what has gotten into you? Why must you make something big out of nothing? If Abbington didnt tell you anything then why worry yourself so much?" He raised his voice matching hers and he saw it, the small protective shell she had run off to, the same one she had hid in for so long crying herself to sleep because she had no voice.

"Emilia I didn't mean-"

"Your mother might come looking for us if we delay attending the ball any longer."

He nodded, it was all he could do.

He led her down the staircases and into the great hall that was filled to the brim with guests. Obviously, they weren't given all the attention in the room as they hadn't been announced but a few heads did turn to look at them especially at Emilia. She had on the most exquisite of gowns and his suit and coat matched hers to the finest even though he wore a colour that was a shade or two lighter than hers. Her demeanor however was one of coldness directed towards him even if he continuously brushed gentle forgiving fingers on her skin.

"If it isn't the lord Seymour himself! I was quite lucky getting an invitation, lady Seymour."

"Charles, and here I thought the women by your side would have prevented you from attending."

"Me? Of course not. I couldn't for the sake of me miss this splendor of an event especially since it is the old noose throwing a ball."

"Charles," Devyn warned. "She is still my mother."

"And that makes her a noose. The fact that she birthed a strong headed noose such as yourself makes her even a bigger noose." He took a sip of his drink, a champagne with less alcohol percentage and more sour fruity favour.

"I assume you have lost a bet of some sort. Judging by the drinking, half your fortune I would say?" Emilia was on his arm and he swore not to let her go no matter what even if she sent him daggering stares.

"Far worse actually." Charles drained another glass, and it was only when he felt the sour burn at the back of his throat did he stop. "I believe I shall be attending a wedding soon."

"Oh really?" Emilia's far less excited voice questioned. "Whose?" "Mine of course." Charles had dark circles about his eyes. His hair was a mess and not in the usual fine style he always wore. He had a wrong shade of colour on his skin and two golden rings short.

The man picked up another tall flute from one of the passing servers and Emilia was fast enough to swap it away from his grip. "As it turns out, I have gotten the daughter of one a very prominent figure with child. And it is my responsibility to make sure I do right by her." "That must be so awful." Emilia's voice came just a moment later though Devyn could have sworn she couldnt have cared less about his ill fate.

"The only problem here is, is that she is someone I cannot for some unexplainable reason stand. For the life of me. How does such a woman outspoken, stubborn, bent with every inch on terrorizing my world fall with my child?"

"The question we should be asking is how you fell into her bed." Charles sighed and took another glass from the passing trey and this time Emilia didn't bother stopping him, as a matter of fact she took a glass of her own and swallowed down its contents in the most ungodly manner possible. "If only I was able to explain it all and now the, she, I, damned! I am damned!"