26 | on my knees

Magsimula sa umpisa

I take a sip of the smooth alcohol that burns my throat with the right amount of spice. "I guess we will see," I glance towards the window. "I've got workers keeping a close eye on him, if he does anything suspicious it will be reported straight to me."

"I've got a meeting with Jace tomorrow," Gabriel starts and I catch his eyes from across the room.

"Then keep your cool. Act normal."

He picks up his glass again and then downs the rest of the liquid. "And for Trey?"

I smile at him, the corners flicking up. "I'm going to interrogate him tomorrow, then I guess we will know who has fucked us over, once and for all."

Gabriel's head tilts with slight confusion, maybe terror. "You seem awfully calm about all of this."

"There is no point losing my head when it can make things worse. Panicking and showing you weaknesses is what will cause more fuck ups and I refuse to let any of them tear this empire down. It's time for lethal calmness, that's what allows me to focus the best." I admit, pushing the sleeve of my shirt up to my elbow slowly.

He raises his eyebrows and sucks in a breath. "Well I'm pleased to know that you still don't think it's me who has sabotaged everything for you."

I stare back at the man who has been by my side for years, never once failed me, never once doubted me. Yet I doubted him. My fears of being betrayed become harsher and harsher as I get older. It's hard to know how to trust when you've grown up with swarms of men purposely trying to bring down others for the fun of it, even people who were meant to be loyal to one another.

"It was a bad day."

Gabriel laughs sourly, his expressions twisting into something I've never seen before. "A bad day?" He scowls at me deeply. "That's all you can say?"

The words 'I'm sorry' have probably never fallen from my lips in my life. Not that I can remember anyway. It's not something I want to start, it's not something I want people to expect from me.

But I know that I dented part of our relationship when I told Gabriel that I suspected him—I had to suspect everyone.

"Gabriel—"

"Save it," he retreats and places his glass back down again. "You might be incapable of manners or for apologising when you know that you're in the wrong but at least I'd never shit all over people I care about. I know you don't care about anyone but yourself and your empire, that's obvious but when I've put in so much for you, for everything you've worked for, a bit of appreciation goes a long fucking way."

Gabriel is out the door before I can say anything else, slamming the door angrily on the way out. I know he's been holding that in for days, I saw the hurt in his eyes when I accused him and maybe I should have apologised—despite the fact it would have tasted like poison on my tongue.

I plunk myself down into my office chair and stare ahead.

I know you don't care about anyone but yourself and your empire.

I suppose a few years ago that would have been true but I know without Gabriel and my workers, I wouldn't be where I am today. Even if I work them hard and into the ground, it's for all of our benefit.