Promises

Episode 4- False Imposition

Cookie sat at the table in Lucious office.

"Well, I went to see Titan's mother."

Lucious poured her a drink at the mini bar. "Did you?"

"Yeah, she's serious, Lucious." Cookie takes the drink from him. "I mean, bean pie, prayer rug, covered hair, all of that, serious." He had a seat close to her. "She raised Titan in the Nation of Islam."

"Titan is a part of the Fruit?"

"Yeah, that's what I'm telling you."

Lucious scoffs. "Nothing but racist views."

"And?" Cookie retorts. "So is America." She shakes her head. "Every day, I worry about my sons, and daughter, don't you? Hell last night should have proved how crazy it is with Mariah being caught right in that damn mess. Where is she?"

"Avoiding you." Lucious sipped his drink.

"Me?" Cookie lowered her glass. "I ain't yell at her."

"Yet."

"Whatever. She going to hear my mouth regardless." Cookie waves it off. "I know how bad you wanted Titan, but I'm not losing my daughter over it. They're gonna break his ass in prison. You lose your soul when you feel like the world's forgotten you."

Lucious hand touched her dress. "I never forgot about you. Couldn't." He nods to himself. "I did some things
that I had to do in order to make sure that when you got out, you would have all of this stuff."

"This stuff," Cookie shows the rings and stuff on her hands. "meaning this material stuff?" He looked up when she said this. "You just stopped coming. No calls, no letter, no explanation, just left me twisting in the wind."

"Remember our first Christmas?

It was cold.

"We didn't have nothing, we didn't need anything. You wrote me a song."

"You tried to get me to steal a Christmas tree." Lucious remembers.

"Yeah, and you punked out."

"I made inroads.

Cookie sighs. "I'm-a go back and talk to Titan's mother. I think I can get her to see the light. But getting in bed with Titan means inviting the Nation
back into your life.

"Doesn't matter."

"I mean, this is business, it's not personal."

"The Nation killed your father." Cookie said this and watched his look change. She puts her cup down and goes to leave. "Just let me know if you want me to go talk to his mother."

Lucious looked back. "You know," Cookie stopped and look back. "I never forgot about you."

Cookie rolls her eyes. "Keep telling yourself that, Lucious."