002: No birthdays

Kachi

"Good job everyone," I smiled at my medical team in the surgical room, after hours of an emergency surgery we just performed.

I was supposed to be taking a break this Sunday, but here I was, saving a kid whose appendix ruptured in his stomach. The mother said that her child had been complaining about the pain but she didn't take it seriously. There were no breaks in this profession.

I changed out of my surgical gown and gloves. I glanced at the ten-year-old boy on the surgical bed, being cleaned up to be taken to the ward by the nurse, before walking out of the room.

"Dr Phillips come shi my drawing"

"Dr Phillips, how wa you doing?"

"You're looking good this afternoon doc."

"Dr Phillips, over here."

The kids yelled, their feet pattering up and down the hallway of the hospital. I flashed a smile at them and patted their little shoulders as I made my way to my office. This was basically what my life was, me and the kids in the hospital. My father owned the best paediatric hospital in the city if not the country and following in his footsteps, I decided to study pediatric medicine. I had always loved kids but dedicating my life to them every day in this hospital wasn't always the easiest, but the thought of doing the best to save these kids from different things always elevated my soul and kept me going. I loved what I did.

I pressed the elevator button and as the door clicked open, I joined the few people in the elevator.

"Good afternoon, Dr Phillips" a nurse greeted and I nodded with a smile.

"Happy birthday, Dr Phillips." Another nurse said and the others joined in.

"Thank you," I said to them.

Soon the door clicked open on the seventh floor where my private office was located, I stepped out of the elevator and sauntered to my office. I was tired, hungry and needed some rest. It was my birthday but I stopped celebrating two years ago, after my ex broke my heart on that day. It was the day I walked into the worst news of my life.

"Look who is here," James my bestfriend stood from across my office desk and met me halfway into the office. We shook hands and tapped our shoulders together. "Look at the birthday boy saving lives on his day. You see why God will continue to give you a longer life, we need you out here for these kids." He smiled broadly.

"What are you doing here man," I watched as he walked and plopped down on the couch in my office.

"I came to take the birthday boy out, I know you must be hungry after working your ass off today." He threw his arms on the couch head and crossed his legs against the other.

"Let me grab my things, do you have anywhere in mind?" I asked as I walked over to my table and grabbed my phone.

Unlocking my phone screen, my gaze fell on the floods of messages and calls I missed. It was only normal since it was my birthday, and I was going to call them back when I returned home. But for Mother's calls, I knew better than to return her call when I got home.

We made our way out of my office and straight to the elevator. We strode out on the last floor, walked to the parking lot and I made my way to my BMW, James followed behind. We were going to take my car.

"Are you sure you want to drive? I can drive you if you--- ?" I threw the key at him before he could finish and he caught it perfectly. I was tired and needed some rest. I walked over and hopped into the passenger's seat.

On our way to the restaurant I decided to give my mother a callback, and when she picked up, I clicked the loudspeaker and dropped the phone on my thigh.