Katerina

Screaming

Screaming.

A young girl, screaming, as she gives birth.

Her mother, who is delivering the baby, coaxes her and encourages her to continue. The screaming is all that anyone could hear. She pushes and pushes until another type of scream fills the room.

A baby is born. The young mother looks at her newborn babe in her own mother's arms and reaches out her arms to hold the bundle of love.

Then, her father comes and takes her away. All she ever wanted to do was just hold her baby once. Once, before she never saw her again.

Sobbing into her mother's shoulder, she begs for her father ti bring her back so that she could hold her.

But all that her mother said was: "Let her go... Let her go, Katerina."

*

Fallon gasps awake.

She pushes herself upright in her bed and runs her hands through her messy, curled hair. She sighs and checks the time. Nearly five-AM.

She knew that what she saw was a replay of one of Katherine's memories from that night of the Masquerade. When she was trying to look for things related to the Moonstone, she managed to find some of her human life as well.

She remembered seeing flashes of it, but not the whole thing.

Getting out of bed, she got changed into some running clothes and tied her hair up into a ponytail. She grabbed her earphones and a water bottle that strapped to her hip and went outside.

She started at a moderately slow pace, trying to gradually gather up her speed. Fallon didn't have an intended distance to achieve, or a destination in mind, she just needed some fresh air and some exercise.

Eventually she made it to her favourite place when she was a teen - the falls.

Except, where normally people would admire from afar, she liked to go behind the falls.

This was her favourite place because no one could get there apart from her. No one knew the entrances and if they did they wouldn't be able to get past the water.

She climbed up the hill and stood next to the waterfall, little droplets of water splattering all over her clothes.

She lifted her hands and used her magic to part an entrance in the middle, so that she could climb through easily without getting caught in the stream of water falling downwards.

When she stepped in, she looked around the small cave and smiled nostalgically.

There were still pillows and blankets here from the last time she was here - no doubt damp and mouldy.